All Discussions Tagged 'religion' (255)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Humor in Church School Classrooms — Even Religion Classes

I learned word play in Catholic school, even in religion classes. There was that 16th Century conference at which the Catholic hierarchy c…

Started by Tom Sarbeck

3 Sep 13
Reply by Craigart14

A Life Without Religion—What Is It Like And What Does It Need That A/N Can Give Them?

I quit Catholicism decades ago for agnosticism and it wasn’t easy.  I enjoyed agnosticism but ten years ago, having had no lightning bolts…

Started by Tom Sarbeck

1 Aug 24
Reply by Loren Miller

Atheistic Religions/Philosophies?

I've been considering atheistic religions. Granted, some would say that if a religion does not worship a God that it's just a philosophy. I…

Started by Keri

19 Aug 10
Reply by Compelledunbeliever

Using The Scientific Method Protects Us From The Religious Method

For instance, in Sex and the Constitution, Geoffrey Stone writes: “[Augustine] postulated that while in Paradise, Adam and Eve had never su…

Started by Tom Sarbeck

3 Jan 27
Reply by Tom Sarbeck

APOSTATE - Middle English from ecclesiastical Latin, from Greek for “runaway slave” (OED)

Did those nuns who described quitting Catholicism as apostasy know what they were saying? They said it to me but I didn’t go to the OED to…

Started by Tom Sarbeck

0 Jan 20

Science Is at War with Religion. They Are Not Non-Overlapping Magisteria.

Ancient Greeks fought religion with words. Religion fought back with centuries of violence. Stephen Jay Gould, wanting the violence to end,…

Started by Tom Sarbeck

20 Jan 18
Reply by Tom Sarbeck

"...where yet there can be revolution without machine guns.”

Appellate Court Judge Learned Hand achieved fame because so many of his views were adopted by the US Supreme Court. He was called its tenth…

Started by Tom Sarbeck

2 Sep 24, 2018
Reply by Tom Sarbeck

People Cling to Religion So They Can Use Guilt and/or Shame to Get What They Need/Want

Despite xianity’s hostility to women, many American women remain xians. I have asked many women why this is so but it seems none know, or m…

Started by Tom Sarbeck

2 Sep 17, 2018
Reply by Ruth Anthony-Gardner

The Three Happinesses — Money, Power, and Sex — and Religions Try to Take Them Away

Back when I was in college and comparing world religions, I might have dallied with Tantric Buddhism for a while. I liked that Tantra held…

Started by tom sarbeck

3 Mar 20, 2018
Reply by Compelledunbeliever

If we are no longer a democracy are we any longer morally or ethically obliged to follow its laws?

Mr trump does not support democracy and neither does his fascistic political party, the tyrannical religious majority that elected him or t…

Started by eric stone

7 Jan 28, 2018
Reply by tom sarbeck

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service