I couldn't. I've never had a relationship with a woman who was very religious. I think it would be a constant source of disagreement. OTOH, Darwin was married to a religious woman for most of his life, so it does happen. What has been your experience?

Views: 1071

Replies to This Discussion

Never again, not even just for sex, not even if she was mind-bogglingly hot.
I don't mind mind-boggling sex, I'll take that anytime. I'd generally still say no to a relationship with such a person, but for recreation, just an afternoon or evening, sure, why not? What's the harm? To me it's no more sinful than eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream, except that you're burning calories instead of adding them, and the memories last a lot longer because such experiences don't come everyday.
My view may be influenced by the fact that I once had a really incredible hot date with a guy who was really into Jesus, and I've never forgotten it. The fireworks that night were like "wow!". I still mentally feed off that memory on occasion, and I absolutely don't regret that it ever happened.
Theist yes. A girl can believe in a god, and I'd have no problem with that. But highly religious? Doubt it. I am WAY too disrespectful of the illogic of religious practices for any long term relationship with a true believer to work.
OTOH, Darwin was married to a religious woman for most of his life, so it does happen.

BTW, what's "OTOH"?
OTOH=On The Other Hand
Thanks, Frank! :-)

Back to the main topic of this wall:

Even if I'd generally say no to such a relationship, as I said above, if something to my surprise did start clicking initially, I'd possibly bend over backwards at first to see how far such a relationship could go. I don't have much long term dating experience to begin with, so I'd want to milk the experience as much as possible for what I could learn from it. I don't always know if I'll be strong enough to say no to a religious person. But I'd be honest about where I stood, and if the other person took it the wrong way, then my guess is that it'd then be very easy to walk away.

Recently, about 2 months ago or so, a local ordained gay priest wanted to set up a date with me, but I felt absolutely no physical attraction for him at all, so it was very easy to immediately decide to say no to this person. I met him only because I had attended a picnic of the local chapter of PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays), which in my county meets inside a church and seems to be led by religious folks, even though PFLAG itself is as far as I know supposed to be a secular group. In my county PFLAG is one of the few ways to meet gays outside of bars.
I thought this article might be of interest to the folks here who have responded to the question on this Wall.

"I'm an atheist surrounded by Catholics: I try to go along but it's hard concealing my beliefs"
http://www.salon.com/mwt/col/tenn/2009/11/17/atheism/index.html?sou...
I couldn't. I have had many relationships with guys who are believers, and recently got out of my only past relationship with a fellow atheist. Things just work out SO much better when your core beliefs match, religiously and also politically.
I couldn't. I've had friendships with religious people but I could never date one but then again, it rarely comes up in conversation with me. But I don't think I could.
Simply put: No, no I could not.
I'm at the point where I don't even want to date a "marginally" religious person. I just can't shake the thought that having faith is illogical. Sorry if that sounds callous. Maybe that's why I'm still single! :)

RSS

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service