The Rule

8. Religious proselytizing is an automatic ban.

The Reason

There are a number of reasons for this. First, and most important is safty. Many religions have pronounced stiff penalties for apostasy and many religious followers have bent their will toward harming the non-religious as a matter of course. Because we want Atheist Nexus to be a place where people feel safe enough to let their guard down and just relax among like-minded people, we do not allow religious people to create accounts here.

Also, it's just another kind of spam. We don't allow spam here as per rule #9

The Action

Religious proselytizers are banned from the site.

Views: 1047

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reminds me of a coworker who explained why he put a Darwin fish on his car: "To amuse those who are amused by it, and to irritate those who are irritated by it."

My bumper sticker for 2 years read "Born again Pagan, but when I drove back t Tennessee where my mother lives I removed it. She is 91 and I have no need to hurt her feelings.

A few years back lots of cars in Portland were sporting a Jesus fish swallowing a Darwin fish. A lovely double irony in that they apparently didn't get that it was affirming both "survival of the fittest" and the christian goal of conquest.

Atheism It's not just for communists any more!

Great motto!

Religious proselyzing, That's how some religions used to get money. They had women around and called them a "preistess" using them as proselites. They had lots of male followers too.

What about atheistic religions that don't involve magical god man but do involve broad axiological moral doctrines?

like Satanism, Syntheism, Terasem  etc

They're devoid of superstition as I understand it but wacky enough to be threatening.

Apparently the Atheist Experience on Facebook does allow the religious and it's damned annoying. Without evidence they continue to try and make you see their god. Who knows. Maybe that's what keeps the conversations going. Personally I need more proof than a Buybull and a loving god who tortures you forever when you exercise that "free will" he gave you. There's also the fact that Jesus' message was to "the lost sheep of Israel" but good old Paul expanded that idea to include everybody. That makes it all parody to me.

As for Satanism, Spiritualism, Syntheism, Taoism, etc. I will go to sites for that if I have any interest at all. Why would it be allowed on an atheist site? Atheism is not a religion or a belief system.

We have groups for Buddhism and Taoism, you know ... even the spiritual forms.  The site's rules don't ban spiritualistic atheists.

Those sorts just tend to get driven off, because when people talk about the "atheist community", we're talking about skeptical, rational, naturalistic/non-mystical, scientifically-informed and scientifically-educated atheists.  Religious atheists don't fit in with the rest of us.

Religious proselytizing is forbidden.  We don't even specifically ban dogmatic proselytization, though.  If we did, then anarcho-capitalist libertarians would not be allowed to take part in any political discussions.

No thanks, redhands, "Axiology is the philosophical study of value" and they can start their own group. I have no interest in doctrine or dogma, and it appears that axiology delves into both. If someone comes snooping around here, I will block him or her from my line. 

I think he misused that word.  Satanism (the Satanic Temple kind) could possibly have something considered axiology, but it's really just a manifestation of humanist values.  Calling political satanism dogmatic is a bit of a stretch.

I don't see the other two things he mentioned as having any kind of dogma, either.  Although, I don't grasp what Syntheism is all about, based upon my brief reading of the subject.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service