Abstinence only doesn't work - Where church donations go.

I think christians who contribute money to their church made the abstinence only policy happen even though only 15% of U.S. citizens want an abstinence-only form of sex education. This is the "Moral Majority" in action.

Abstinence and abstinence-only education: A review of U.S. policies...

From this paper:
The United States continues to lead the developed world in adolescent pregnancy rates. Over 800,000 adolescents become pregnant each
year, 80% of these pregnancies are unintended, and many of
these end in abortion. An estimated 18.9 million STIs
occurred in 2000 in the United States; almost half of these
in adolescents and young adults under 25. Long-term
sequelae of STIs can include infertility, tubal pregnancy,
fetal and infant demise, chronic pelvic pain, and cervical
cancer.

The children of adolescent mothers perform more poorly on indicators of health and social well-being than children of older mothers 7% of parents did not want sex education to be taught. Only 15% wanted an abstinence-only form of sex education.

Although federal AOE funding language requires teach-
ing that sexual activity outside of the context of marriage is
likely to have harmful psychological effects, there are no
scientific data suggesting that consensual sex between ado-
lescents is harmful.

Data from a recent nationwide poll of middle school and
high school parents found overwhelming support for sex
education in school; 90% believed it was very or somewhat
important that sex education be taught in school, whereas
7% of parents did not want sex education to be taught.
Only 15% wanted an abstinence-only form of sex education.

Parents thought it was appropriate to provide high school
and middle school youth with broad information on sexual
issues, including sexually transmitted infections (99%),
“how babies are made” (96%), waiting to have intercourse
until older (95%), how to make responsible sexual choices
based on individual values (91%), how to use and where to
get contraceptives (86%), abortion (85%), masturbation
(77%), homosexuality (73%), oral sex (72%), and that teens
can obtain birth control pills from clinics and doctors with-
out parents’ permission (71%) [30]. In these polls, most
parents and most adolescents do not see education that
stresses abstinence while also providing information about
contraception as a mixed message.

1999, one-quarter of sex education teachers said they were
prohibited from teaching about contraception.

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When will people realize that abstinence only education just doesn't work. Telling adolescents whose hormones are going crazy not to have sex because it is immoral is just ludicrous. These young adults need the facts. They need to know what is going on, what diseases are out there that can quite possibly kill them and they need to be given appropriate options in how to prevent not only pregnancy but STI's. The sex education I received in school was a joke but it was probably more than what other adolescence received. Of course, more parents should openly discuss sex, pregnancy, STI's and making adult decisions with their children, but parents don't want to believe that their child may be doing something they disagree with. This is definitely one area where parents need to hold off the judgment and just be there with open minds and arms for their children so that an open table discussion can occur.
Maaaan, that abstinence crap just leads to condom use (if the money is there; or the wisdom)
and women, well, they toy w/toys at some point with their girlfriends; if they're really livin' life

c'mon folks
c'mon sheeple, break away from your fears
life is a chain of good's and bad's
tired of all the rapture pushed bad crap

just beware, the very money men/women funding the backwards policies are the ones that run the prostitution and gambling, go figure.

go latex or go home
1999, one-quarter of sex education teachers said they were
prohibited from teaching about contraception.

I wonder if the same is true about teaching any biology and science because of places like
The Dover Pennsylvania Intelligent Design Classroom Case
Over 800,000 adolescents become pregnant each year, 80% of these pregnancies are unintended, and many of these end in abortion

Wow, that's so sad.
In the end it's the people lacking proper education that pay the price for their lack of schooling. Based on flawed information they have to make decisions that are potentially life changing, which can result in very tough personal choices such as abortion.

I can still remember the sexual education that I had in school because what they were telling was true. I've made many a mistake when it concerns my sex life but it was of poor judgement on my part, not because of lack of knowledge due to lack of education. I thank my teachers and school deeply for giving me these tools to make better informed decision, I can't imagine what might have happened if they didn't.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service