America’s Founders Allegedly Used Biblical Concepts Everywhere

With the nation’s capital now having a Museum of the Bible, thumpers on C-SPAN 3 are claiming the Bible is the origin of every concept in the Constitution, even the idea that Americans are a fallen people and original sin. 

If nothing else, they are dedicated. Are they defining a new test of patriotism?

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Franklin's god reference was often simply called "divine providence."

The prayer he wrote in the Autobiography was addressed to Powerful Goodness.  “O powerful Goodness! bountiful Father! merciful Guide! increase in me that wisdom which discovers my truest interest. Strengthen my resolutions to perform what that wisdom dictates. Accept my kind offices to thy other children as the only return in my power for thy continual favors to me.” -Benjamin Franklin.  A humanist prayer if ever there was one.

Pence is being put in place and I'm not sure of the exit of Trump. The New Apostolic Reformation is a part of this and we are being set up for a theocracy. Some of those behind it are in the current administration. The Museum of the Bible is designed as a testament to the new beliefs. True historians and atheists might be the only ones to object on this. Church goers have drank the koolaide for many years so they will go with it. If you can see what I am saying here immigrants will not be welcome. White skinned people are predominate. Apparently history does repeat itself. 

It's probably not new; these people have been around for at least a generation.

But they have a foothold they didn't have before.  Many tourists going to that "museum" won't realize it's a private propaganda tool, but go as if they were visiting a Smithsonian museum -- believing what's there is true.  That's dangerous.

I'd like to see research showing how much a day at this place affects attitudes.  I'm afraid that for some it will be significant.  I mean, it's not as if we have a deficit of gullible people.

It's my understanding that most of the founders, like Franklin and Jefferson, were deists. I wouldn't say that the Bible was the sources of the Constitution but the philosophical Christian thoughts may have influenced it. I think I heard that from the Presidents Series on CSPAN (aired I believe early 2000's).

@Larry, "...but the philosophical Christian thoughts may have influenced [the Constitution.]"

Philosophical Christian thoughts didn't leap from the delegates' heads into the Constitution.

The delegates had grown up among Christians and had learned Christian political thinking.

They were politicians, they were writing a political document, and they knew they had to persuade Christians to vote for its adoption.

They did not write the word "Christian" or the word "religion" into the Constitution.

The founders had classical educations, whether in school or in books, and they were all well aware of Solon, the architect of Athenian democracy. Franklin also was aware of the constitution that bound the Iroquois nations into a confederacy ruled through checks and balances. Solon and the ancient Greeks and Native Americans influenced the structure of American democracy; the Bible . . . not so much. 

I'm glad to read you acknowledging the influence Native Americans had on the development of the Constitution. The story of the Confederated Tribes of the Iroquois, including Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, CayugaSeneca, and Tuscarora is an interesting one. I first heard it from a Mohawk, and found this version in The Encyclopaedia Britannica,

"Iroquois Confederacy

AMERICAN INDIAN CONFEDERATION."

~The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica

If only more Americans had better educations rather than just training.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service