Short Read

America: The Grim Truth

Some of the claims in the article are untrue (70% of taxes going to the military) and others are just nuts (the government is going to lock the place down...they don’t want their “recruits” escaping. They don’t want YOU escaping)

However, let's take a look at the primary claim:

"You (Americans) have the worst quality of life in the developed world – by a wide margin"

and some of the supporting claims

Americans have:

-less access to health care

-poorer diets (less healthy)

-Low quality food (more processed, more contamination, etc)

-More reliance on meds

-Less vacation time (more stress)

-Expensive education (starting life with high debt)

-Greater Debt Overall

-Higher Bankruptucy rates (see above on debts)

-Less freedom (drug tests, surveillence)

-Misinformed citizenry (Fox News, Right/Left wing media)

-An uneducated population

-Corrupt politicians

-Crushing Debt

-etc, etc, etc.

I'd love to hear from anyone, but especially those of you who reside outside of America and can provide objective viewpoints.

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Both my daughter and I are Canadian and have lived in the US and I totally agree with the list.  We are

much more relaxed here as far as debt is concerned.  We have no medical worries here, no fear of being sued and everyone gets 3 weeks vacation per year when starting a new job.  We trust our government, our police force and our health care system and our banking system is secure.

Americans seem to be paranoid about universal health care, their government and feel the need to constantly carry guns to protect themselves.  In Canada those things never cross our minds.  We feel safe here.

Thanks Willow, and good for you and your daughter.   I'm sure Canada has their conservatives too, but I doubt they are as loud-mouthed as they are to the south.  

My family and I may join you in a few years.  I hope they let us in. 

The Canadians that speak out are not the religious zealots that I hear from the US.  You seem to be heavily influence by that sector and I find that hard to understand.  Religion does not make laws in Canada the way they seem to try in the US and the way I have seem them try to do in the US.

Religion, guns, god and "traditional values" are just tools of the republicans to get gullable and otherwise democratic voters to vote against their own best interests.  Every once in a while they attempt to pass a law that addresses these issues, in order to appeal to the gullable, even though they almost always get shot down in the courts or voted down. 

Using god to get money goes back a long ways doesn't it?   This is yet another example

"From each according to their ability, to those according to their need."

-Karl Marx

This is disgusting.  It's a celebration and fostering of sickness. Shame on pretty much all of you!

Who was it that said, "Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime." Religious source notwithstanding, I like it. Wealth redistribution grows poverty and hampers productivity. Sure, a bunch of people can agree to give each other their shit and it might appear OK, but, I think, the world is entering a new age of debt and and big-brother,  partly because of this and partly because of religion's endorsement that we are our brother's keeper. Nature does not necessitate that we take care of each other anywhere near as much as it dictates the need to take care of ourselves. It can be very nice to help others, but when forced, it is immoral.

In the constitution it is the Congress' job to promote the general welfare.  Are you saying that cutthroat capitalism achieves that?
I am not going to argue the specific merits of the constitution. I didn't write it and I don't study it in detail. I would say that general welfare is not the job of government. Protecting individual's right to be free from the coercion or force of others. And yes, people being free to create products and sell them results in productivity, life and happiness. I'm not saying that laws should not be enacted to protect people in the workplace and in the free market, but government over-site does not create, individuals working does.
I think it is the governments job to protect the welfare of all of it's citizens.  Otherwise, big business would exploit every worker in the country and no laws would exist to protect them either.
Which country are you referring to?  If the US, it is in our constitution.
I think it is every government  in every countries responsibility to protect their citizens.  But specificly I am from Canada and our government does protect us.

Not from each other's dependence.

Good analogy, Park, thanks.  The only challenge I have is abuut the "non existent operator" .

A more accurate term might be "a misinformed, gullable, ignorant and incompetent operator" 

Surely a horse and plow would be more productive with the non-existent operator than the incompetent one. 

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service