Cornel West & Rev. Traci Blackmon: Clergy in Charlottesville We...

In this Democracy Now interview, Cornel West and Rev. Traci Blackmon say that they and 20 University of Virginia students owed their lives to AntiFascists and Anarchists who protected them from thousands of white supremacists. Police stood aside to let neo-Nazi protestors attack the antiprotestors.

screen grab from the video

Cornel West:

The next day, for example, those 20 of us who were standing, many of them clergy, we would have been crushed like cockroaches if it were not for the anarchists and the antifascists who approached, over 300, 350 antifascists. We just had 20. And we’re singing "This Little light of Mine,"…

The antifascists, and then, crucial, the anarchists, because they saved our lives, actually. We would have been completely crushed, and I’ll never forget that. [emphasis mine]

Views: 772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I detect a straw man argument and name calling "antifa boy" (which is against Atheist Nexus rules). If you expect people to take what you say seriously, clean up your discourse. Otherwise people will decide it's not worth their time to talk to you. You will be ignored.

It's juvenile to say a discussion of opinions is  not winnable.

Capitalism is by far the biggest killer John. Great Britain and the U.S. have killed more people and stolen more territory in the last century than anyone.We are not a democracy in a true sense. We are a controlled by capitalism but I have some frightening numbers to show you on my next post. AntiFa is no threat. RIght-winged hate is by far the biggest threat in this country. More so than International terrorist or anything else.We committed genocide against native Americans. We and England killed millions of African Americans in the procurement and exploitation of a human race. You forget Fascism did not become a form of government under that name until 1941. Communism had been in place much longer. Many of the countries that you are calling communist we really just authoritarian dictatorships. We are the losers when it comes to dirty deeds and killing John. The good old USA and Great Britain. We are guilty! I have nothing to do with Antifa John. I am not a nationalist either. I am an internationalist. I despise nationalism. The Southern Poverty Law Center found that the number of Right-Winged hate groups operating in the U.S. rose 20% from 2015 to 2016. Right-Winged hate crimes rose 197% in that same period. The first 10 days after Trumps election, the SPLC documented 867 bias-related incidents, including more than 300 that targeted immigrants or Muslims. More recently Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists attacked peaceful counter-protesters and clergy, with torches, Fascists flags and symbols, assault rifles, clubs, brass knuckles, and automobiles in Charlottesville and killed one young lady in the process. FBI: "Right-Winged hate groups are a serious threat to our national security." You haven't seen AntiFa come close to any of those stats. They are not the same AntiFa that is in Europe. Once again John. You are so wrong! Go it!

Is it juvenile to say a debate of opinions is not winnable? 

Yes, explain how one wins a war of opinion ? It is futile.

The Black Panthers

"Panthers were formed in California in 1966 and they played a short but important part in the civil rights movement. The Black Panthers believed that the non-violent campaign of Martin Luther King had failed and any promised changes to their lifestyle via the ‘traditional’ civil rights movement, would take too long to be implemented or simply not introduced. 

The language of the Black Panthers was violent as was their public stance. The two founders of the Black Panther Party were Huey Percy Newton and Bobby Seale. They preached for a “revolutionary war” but though they considered themselves an African-American party, they were willing to speak out for all those who were oppressed from whatever minority group. They were willing to use violence to get what they wanted."

C N Trueman "The Black Panthers"
historylearningsite.co.uk. The History Learning Site, 27 Mar 2015. 4 Sep 2017.

Why Non-Violence Waned and Black Power Gained Popularity after 1965

"Non-violence was the dominant form of black protest between the end of world war two and 1965. After the apparent moderate success of the strategy in 1965 it began to lose widespread support to the more militant black power approach. After this date it became increasingly obvious to blacks that continued advancement was dependent on a black show of force.

"The end of 1965 saw the non-violent civil rights movement achieve its immediate goals. Civil Rights Acts were passed in 1964 and 1965 to end segregation and the denial of voting rights respectively. Lyndon Johnson even adopted some of King's rhetoric using in one of his speeches the famous slogan "And we shall overcome." The acts had an immediate effect with the number of Mississippi blacks registered to vote increasing from seven percent in 1964 to fifty nine percent by 1968."

We always knew we had the backing of violent blacks and so did the Right Wing Whites. Fear played an important part of their acquiescing to the demands of the Black Movement as a whole. 

My task during these years was to recruit black voters and educate a group of black girls living in a project. 

There is a clue for today's struggles, voter registration and education of girls. 

Blocking voters is a strategy of the current administration.

Yes, the laws were against blacks voting, courts upheld the laws. Non-violent efforts continued one murder after another, the 1960s in particular. I lived in Washington, DC in 1968 working with the civil rights movement signing up black voters and teaching black graduating senior girls how to read and how to get jobs.

Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert Kennedy were assassinated that year. It was a terrible time! 

AntiFa is not the black Panthers and there is no left-wing equivalency to all of the right-winged military hate groups.Also remember that they are gun crazed fanatics. Right Winged hate has increasingly become the biggest threat to our national security. At some point it becomes impossible to defend oneself without being able to counter physically. The right-wing tries to use scattered incidents by a few individuals to further their arguments that the left -wing is violent and dangerous. Their argument has no merit. Thanks for the information Joan.

This is what the alt-right want to bring back in spades.

Common Cause is looking for donors to support their lawsuit against the Pence-Kobach commission.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service