Look, I know in every generation they think its always getting worse than it was (which is rarely backed up by the data),

But I'm curious, does everyone else here feel like the insanity is growing? Or do ya'll think the issue is we're simply becoming more aware of all the insanity that has been laying under the surface all this time.

Or do ya'll think its all just the same shit different day and not much has changed?

For me in my lifetime, some of this stuff really seems to be more out there than I ever would have imagined possible.

Views: 380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem with many of us is that we are too concerned with race in a way that rivals breeding of horses and dogs for show. We apply such an ignorant thing to our species as if it meant something. We are all humans. That's the bottom line. When I married my African wife of 12 years (we are now divorced) a friend of mine informed me that "I was destroying my race." WTF? How utterly ignorant. I'm not a show dog. I'm a human.

We have so many that are racist unawares and also those who are outright racist. I don't want anyone talking that crap around me.

Especially now that we know that "race" has no biological reality at all when it comes to meaningful genetic heritages. Biologically, we now know "race" is  largely just another false human social  construct and generally just stupid for lack of a better term. Genetically speaking there is less genetic variation between so called "races" than there is within any group claiming to be a race. In non-population genetic terms that means we are more similar to a stranger pulled from another group we define as a different race than we are likely to be when compared to a stranger with in our own artificially defined "racial group". This is one area in which all of humanity, inclusive of all "racial groups" needs to grow the F___ up if there is going to be a future.

John, I agree completely. Even as a card-carrying cynic, I'm still astounded  that race-based hatred is so prevalent when it's so idiotic. As I've noted in earlier discussions, the existentialist concept of "thrownness*" makes more or less the same point. No one here put in an order to be who they are. To hate people for their immutable characteristics is the height of stupidity. To feel superior because of your own immutable characteristics is pathetic. And yet, here we are.

As an interesting aside, Jim Morrison tipped his hat to Heidegger's notion of thrownness [German - Geworffenheit]  in Riders on the Storm:

Into this house we're born, into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone, an actor out on loan

*Per Wiki: 

Awareness and acknowledgment of the arbitrariness of Dasein [being] is characterized as a state of "thrown-ness" in the present with all its attendant frustrations, sufferings, and demands that one does not choose, such as social conventions or ties of kinship and duty.

Aw, Bert, if people way up there at the top of the white social pecking order keep on saying racism is idiotic, stupid, and pathetic, they'll start believing it.
Give some thought to us down here at the bottom of the white social pecking order. Do you want us to accept responsibility for our having been thrown down here, like Heidegger said? :))
Literacy is important.

1 Bert you're quite right, judging people on the color of their skin, gender, or other qualities they are born with and have absolutely no control over is totally arbitrary. By extension hating people because their race is idiotic, arbitrary, and pathetic.

A similar care can be made for those who have lower social standing. Claiming poor people are at fault for the events in their lives ignores the reality that all of us have far less control over our environment, and by extension the outcomes of our lives. We're all doing the best we can, hating each other over arbitrary qualities and false ideological positions is wrong.

@ Tom--

That's Overlord Bert to you, Sarbeck. (So now you're casting me in Trading Places??)

That, OLB, requires some thought. Take two aspirin and see me in a century.

About the word 'race' and its definition..was it coined by Karl Marx?

I'll have to look that up. But the scientific classification system would have all of us as one race. And hating a dog just because the mother was a dog is also silly. Hating aliens (if we ever met them) because they aren't from Earth is also stupid. Look of you want a reason to hate someone you don't need to judge them on the color of their skin or anything else like that. Just wait for them to open their mouths, if your goal is hate you'll find a reason to hate anything and everything they say. But at least then it wouldn't be totally arbitrary.

You're quite right, just like we're still fighting the fucking crusades for Christians, a stupid holy war that's been going on hundreds of years now.

You're not crazy, it's getting crazier.

Forgive the few religious references. This vision by Yeats seems appropriate here.

The Second Coming           
Turning and turning in the widening gyre 
The falcon cannot hear the falconer; 
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; 
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, 
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere 
The ceremony of innocence is drowned; 
The best lack all conviction, while the worst 
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand; 
Surely the Second Coming is at hand. 
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out 
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi 
Troubles my sight; somewhere in sands of the desert 
A shape with lion body and the head of a man, 
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun, 
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it 
Reel shadows of indignant desert birds. 
The darkness drops again; but now I know 
That twenty centuries of stony sleep 
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, 
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, 
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Printings: The Dial (Chicago), November 1920; The Nation (London), 6 November 1920; Michael Robartes and the Dancer (Dundrum: Cuala, 1921); Later Poems (London: Macmillan, 1922; 1924; 1926; 1931).

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service