What do you think about the charge that atheists are arrogant about their lack of belief? I have to admit, I hear that a lot, and for myself, I cannot deny it. I DO consider myself intellectually superior to someone who deludes themselves with magical thinking. We (in this group) have all shrugged off thousands of years of superstition to see reality for what it is, so isn't a little bit of arrogance understandable?

I am new to this site, so please forgive me if I posted this incorrectly. Also, I hope it is clear that I am not flaming or trolling; I am truly curious about what others think on this subject.

Views: 2023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What? I'm right cuz I think so isn't arrogant?

And those are exactly the things we should be doing, Loren. Yes, there are those who want quieter atheists speaking to the general population. I say, "NO". We need more Firebrands as well as the Quiet Ones. 

Thomas, many people prefer that atheist be quiet, not talk about our thinking and decision-making strategies, and it would serve them very well if we just "Shut up!" I learned from life's knocks that remaining silent in the face of superstitions, folk tales, myths, customs, traditions, lies, and propaganda offers an ineffective process. We need facts more than we need comfortable family, friends or neighbors. The idea is not mine for atheists; it is David Silverman, the current president of the American Atheists, a non-profit organization that supports the rights of atheists. 

I first became a firebrand during the Civil Rights struggles of 1968, then when I became a feminist in 1974 when I ran from an abusive marriage, and now as an atheist. Anger helps to fuel the firebrand personality. However, I find that as my anger melts away, I become a better firebrand. Staying calm, objective, and concrete provides an environment that will not escalate into violence. 

Below is a URL with a list of different videos David has taped over the years. You have a wide choice of length of time for the films. 

I use videos a lot because it is easier on my eyes, even when I can enlarge print. 

David uses statics effectively to make his points. This method offers convincing evidence of why we need this tool when dealing with persistent religion peddlers. 

David Silverman, Firebrand

James, I am glad you watched this film, and I encourage you to watch the whole video. Silverman uses valid, solid information to develop his position and it helps you and me to be better prepared to take on a challenge. 

Ideas float around for a long time before the general public can see the logic. Take the round Earth for example. Columbus probably knew that the Earth was round, except the image I have of him and his entire crew sailed west to east because they put their trust in an idea that had not caught on, yet. 

When did humans start to think about our home is on a round planet? Well, there are different sources, 

Pythagoras, in about 500 B.C., proposed that the Earth was round on aesthetic grounds. 

Anaxagoras, about 500 B.C. to 430 B.C. determined the actual cause of solar and lunar eclipses because of the shape of the Earth's shadow on the Moon during a lunar eclipse. He used that as evidence that the Earth was round.

Herodotus, c. 425 B.C. cast doubt on a flat Earth. (The Histories, 4.42) 

Plato, 400 B.C. advocated a spherical earth in Phaedo, 4th a dialogue giving a spherical Earth wider circulation.

Aristotle, around 350 B.C., declared the Earth was a sphere founded on observations he made about which constellations he could see as he travelled further and further away from the equator.

Aristarchus, c. 310 – c. 230 B.C.  was the first known astronomer who placed the Sun at the center of the known universe with the Earth revolving around it. He calculated the Earth-Moon distance and the Earth-Sun distance. 

Eratosthenes of Cyrene, 276 B.C.– c. 195 B.C. calculated the circumference of the Earth and the tilt of the Earth’s axis. He calculated the distance from the Earth to the sun and invented the leap day. He created a map of the world based on the available geographical knowledge of the era.

Ptolemy, 90 A.D. - 168 A.D. The Ptolemaic or earth-centered model of our solar system described the motion of the stars and planets reasonably well for the time; and his work. In the Almagest, one of the most important surviving treatises we know about early Greek astronomy he developed his map from a globe and developed the system of latitude, and longitude.

So, you see, the idea of a spherical Earth floated around for 2,000 years before Columbus and his men put the idea to the test. 

Joan, I never heard or read of Columbus' saying the earth was round.

Couldn't he have done his pillaging believing the earth was flat?

I live in a community of 1200 people. I drove to the Mobil station today and saw a man holding a sign for all to see that read "Jesus Is The Answer." I'm sure the world is moving too fast for this poor creature as it is for all of us, but I wanted to drive up to him and ask him what the question was?

Don't like Trump or Hillary- Jesus is the answer.

Don't like ISIS or Muslims- Jesus is the answer.

Scared of Obama -Jesus is the answer.

No job and no money - Jesus is the answer.

Has anyone else noticed that most of the world is going insane? They think we are arrogant but they always have a magic answer. Real life doesn't work that way.

You bring up a good point that never ceases to irk me that Jesus is always the answer, yet he never gives any answers. It is irrational to say he does. It is simply insanity to then espouse regardless that he does or is the answer. Perhaps this group think delusion could be defined as arrogance. I think I'm right for no good reason and therefore you are wrong. Now that is arrogance!

Actually, there is an answer. The answer is: submission to Jesus. That said submission doesn't accomplish anything doesn't matter. All that matters is that everyone commit such submission. Islam is no different,  and indeed Islam is more honest because it is at least the definition of submission.

All religions want to imagine themselves as Supreme. In that way they can potentially control everything and everyone. That is why we are such a danger to them, because we do not recognize that Supremacy. That is why they fear us. That is why they can't tolerate us. And that is why they fight against us.

Jesus isn't an answer. It's just one more question that frustrates those who fail to understand what is and what is not.

I agree with you, Thomas. This is the take I get in any confrontation with them. A recent question on Quora was "do you have even the tiniest fear that there might be a hell?" NO. Absolutely not.

As for god belief the Christian knows that his own book says that everyone believes in god, so he is very confused by an atheist. The book also says that the man who says there is no god is a fool. Gotcha! It must be true coz it's in the book.

The world appears to be going insane because too many in our nation have been given a strong dose of fear as a strategy. Fearful people have rings in their noses so that some charlatan can grab ahold of them and drag them around to whatever is their scam. 

That is why it is so important to know what is happening, why, who benefits, and who pays a price for their skulduggery.  

Too many voters continue to be under the influence of the Milton Friedman theory of money when that is so far out of date, especially with the global economy, it is poised on the edge of tragedy. Too many voters remain afraid of any political system other than capitalism that they cannot see the negative parts of this system that booms and busts every 50-70 years, leaving an entire segment of the economy on the outside looking in, they can't even smell the roasted chickens. 

There are protections we can take and I have written about them for many months now. There are things that we can do to keep us from being victims. We are not victims, we are people with rings in our noses expecting the Big Daddy to figure it out for us. We have replaced Big Daddy Religion with Big Daddy Government to sort out the static. 

There are new challenges we never dreamed of in 1974 when the World Fair was in Spokane and we talked about our preferred futures. Machines were going to do the work, people would have access to the profits from the goods and services of robotic production and we would all have time to rest, refresh and renew. That was one of the slogans of l974 World Fair that was held in Spokane. 

In Spokane at that time were some world-renowned futurists who influenced the planning and production of the event. We had Ed Lindaman, then president of Whitworth College who wrote "Thinking in the Future Tense" who was my mentor; there was Robert Theobold who was one of my professors at Whitworth, Robert Theobald was a private consulting economist and futurist author. In economics, he was best known for his writings on the economics of abundance and his advocacy of a Basic Income Guarantee. 

Amazon has access to this book for sale and libraries have it for inter-library loan.

That is why it is so important to know what is happening, why, who benefits, and who pays a price for their skulduggery.

Joan, can anyone know all that and not go bonkers?

For my own well being I filter a lot of stuff out.

This talk about believers seeing atheists as arrogant moved me to check my understanding of the term.

My NOAD (New Oxford American) defines it as having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Atheists don't live in fear and theists do.

It seems to me that our not living in fear might look to them like feeling important or having abilities.

Ok, if someday a theist tells me I'm arrogant, I hope I will remember to reply that arrogance is in the eyes of beholders.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service