I used to admire Julian Assange for revealing secrets of government corruption. No longer -- though I'm still a big fan of transparency and whistleblowing. Participating in Russian election meddling -- not a fan!

I found this update clarifying: 10 Things You Should Know About Julian Assange

In particular, private emails (presumably from Assange) from @Wikileaks to Trump Jr. changed my mind on him. Investigative reporter Barrett Brown points out an irony.

But in the messages with Trump Jr., he noted, Assange was “complaining about ‘slander’ of being pro-Trump IN THE ACTUAL COURSE OF COLLABORATING WITH TRUMP.”

image source

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pardon my crowing, but Assange's name has been shit with me from Letter A.  As I have stated before, he had no problem in revealing United States classified material which had the potential to be exceptionally harmful not just to our diplomatic efforts but also to undercover agents who may be tasked with implementing elements of those efforts.  Never once did he attempt to obtain or disclose Russian or Chinese intelligence, and I would have been dubious of any successes he might have claimed, had he tried.

The problem is simple: the US is, for the large portion, an OPEN society, whereas Russia and China are effectively closed.  Assange did very little more than to exploit that openness to our disadvantage with people who, like him, were likely more interested in their own self-aggrandizement than they were the security interests of this country.  Now ... had they divulged PROCESSES and PRACTICES which were illegal, unconstitutional or otherwise out of bounds, that would have been entirely a different matter, But They Didn't Stop There, and the damage Assange and others have done to our covert apparatus is doubtless considerable, some possibly irreparable.

Far as I'm concerned, Assange can rot in that embassy.

You make good points, Loren, especially, "The problem is simple: the US is, for the large portion, an OPEN society, whereas Russia and China are effectively closed.  Assange did very little more than to exploit that openness to our disadvantage...

Loren, you are correct, you were on to him from the very first and I disagreed with you. I yield to you on this one.

What tipped you off?

What tipped me off were his methods and attitude, Joan ... added to my own attitude and experience. I wrote this something over four years ago, and I stand by it.

Loren,

You Wrote:

"Assange did very little more than to exploit that openness to our disadvantage with people who, like him, were likely more interested in their own self-aggrandizement than they were the security interests of this country.  Now ... had they divulged PROCESSES and PRACTICES which were illegal, unconstitutional or otherwise out of bounds, that would have been entirely a different matter, But They Didn't Stop There, and the damage Assange and others have done to our covert apparatus is doubtless considerable, some possibly irreparable.

Far as I'm concerned, Assange can rot in that embassy.

I'm curious what did Wikileaks, The NYT's, WAPO, The Guardian or other rags disclose that harmed, or resulted in  irreperable harm?

I'm slow, but I get it.

ATP first, I, Admired Julian and thought he was this centuries Howard’s Zinn! Sadly he is. of another stripe. We need a truthp teller, now, more than ever!

Howard Zinn .

Pakistanis now distrust Polio vaccines consequently health care workers and doctors because of the CIA's work to verify Bin Ladens whereabouts.

One doesn't have to go back to far into history to see how health care workers were being killed because of mistrust.

Maraquats may not know much about this history.

Your link didn't open for me Ruth.

This may link may work. https://www.alternet.org/10-things-you-should-know-about-julian-ass...

Aside from the gossip.

Is freedom of the press under attack?

My understanding is Wikileaks didn't disclose anything other than embarrisment for the U.S. State department.

Valarie Plames cover was disclosed through the White House.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/top-ten-political-sca...

It's a felony to disclose a CIA operative. 

Weapons of mass distruction?!

A free press keeps the executive branch honest.

Free press is under attack in numerous ways.

Thanks for alerting me to the bad link. Fixed.

Apparently I'm going to have to write off line prior to posting.

(I had four paragraphs written). My posts were cut. I don't feel like rewriting it. My rant may have been interesting to some.

Ajit Pai  is doing his best to limit media content for profit.

The problem isn't fake knews it's  lack of news.

Loren, you have convicted Assange without the US having presented any evidence.

If he is brought to the USA he will be tried for violating the 1917 Espionage Act, a law which DENIES A DEFENDANT ANY DEFENSE WHATSOEVER.

You know little of America's economic history. A government of, by and for the people sounds good and Americans who don't know the reality feel good. The reality is a government  of, by and for investors.

The US advertises itself as an open society but it is not. The 1953 overthrow by the CIA of an elected government in Iran was the first of many elected governments America has overthrown.

America has long been building an overseas empire. We have upwards of 150 military bases around the world. Do you know anything of the Status of Forces Agreements (SOFA) America requires other nations to sign? Due to the UNPROSECUTED criminal behavior of American troops, residents of Okinawa have for decades been demonstrating to get American troops out. Several years ago when Iraq's leaders refused to sign a SOFA, we took our troops out and ISIS/ISIL moved in.

We differ from history's tyrannical nations in that we use economic means first. When they fail we use military means. The CIA is usually involved.

A Democratic administration lied us into a war in Viet Nam and a Republican administration lied us into a war in Iraq.

America does differ from China and Russia. I can say the above to SMALL AUDIENCES without being imprisoned. 

My political education began in 1972 in Arizona. I saw the sociopathic behavior of that state's political leaders. In 1976 I resigned my career in computers and left NOT WHEN I HEARD threats on my life, but when I started BELIEVING the threats. A carbomb's killing the investigative reporter Don Bolles persuaded me. A woman who worked with him warned me.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service