Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?

I am semi in the closet. I do have to admit that I am not comfortable discussing my views with just anyone. I am the type that wants everyone to like me (such a fault I have!) and I am nervous someone will think I am a bad person. Even when I find someone who is passionate about science, I still try not to venture down that avenue. So lucky to have you guys!

Views: 11123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People need to be told -face to face- few things.....and I do this in both English and Spanish...ja

I've been listening to the renowned Bible scholar and agnostic (non-committed atheist) in Bart Ehrman, and his critique of the New Testament, it is interesting to find the parables that people hold dear in the Bible, such as the time Jesus supposedly had the adulterous woman set free, was actually added to the Bible centuries after his death.  I think this would surprise many Christians, though it probably won't stop them from believing, because my studies into psychology, have led me to believe that it is Terror Management Strategy that keeps them believing.  Religion has them terrified with stories of Hell and death, so they cling to their faith to minimize their terror.    

If one of the most popular stories about Jesus was invented 1000 years later, I wonder which other parables were added to make Jesus appear greater than he likely was in real life.

I haven't found a devout Christian here that I can try this on, but when I do, I'll probably report the result.  It's too secular here for such experiments.  Sometimes I would have liked it to be like it was 30 years ago when I was surrounded by Christian guinea pigs to test such things on.   

I used to test my concepts on street preachers, but I haven't seen any for a long while.

https://youtu.be/pfheSAcCsrE

They won't let me copy embedded code to patch the video in, Youtube have stopped that function from working.  Ar$holes.

One thing that shows bigtime to me, DD, is the 4 Gospels and how certain events within them have set the date for Jesus' birth anywhere from before BC slightly to maybe 6 AD. This is a 6 or 8 year span and it proves outright that the writers had an agenda but knew nothing of when Jesus was really born. That seems to be about as credible as his death because nobody knows when that is either.

Consider also that Saul of Tarsus was the first to get everything going about Jesus, and the Gospels appear to have not been around when he became Paul.

All of this is what convinced me that atheism is correct because there is no evidence for God and Jesus. Even so, the believers will tell you that the above is all lies and the New Testament books came in the order they are in in the Bible.

Yes, Michael, I believe that Jesus was likely the product of Saul, the con man.

He took somebody possibly named Jesus, that some had known and liked, and pumped him up, out of all proportions, into a demigod.

So Christianity was a Saulian concept.

Some call Saul the antichrist. I'm sure he built Jesus up more than his followers did. Calling him the antichrist is because he changed what Jesus said and who Jesus was. The original followers did not trust or like him. He built Jesus into a superman and the 4 conflicting Gospels that we have followed along to help make the impossible stories. Without Saul of Tarsus there would have been no Jesus as wew know of him today.

It is all in the marketing, isn't it, Michael! Market an inferior product with a lot of promises and some threats;  we have a winner. 

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. Anonimus 

Actually, that was Stephen F. Roberts, Sylvia.

Ii HAVE TWO LISTS OF QUOTES; IN ONE SAYS ANONYMOUS AND IN THE OTHER IT SAYS S. ROBERTS...

Here is what I found about the quote:

"Brief history of The Quote...
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts

"...Yep, that's me! I am the author of the above quote which has become a bit of a popular statement throughout the net (and some in the real world too).

"Semi-out" of the closet describes me as well. For the same reasons. Many people look at me, who know I'm an atheist, as an extremist. They think it's unresonable to deny the supernatural. For these folks it's a little uncomfortable so I avoid conversations about religion with them.

I never reveal my atheism to anyone I don't know well, and especially at work. I've even learned to stop talking about it, no matter how much I am baited into it, with relatives at get togethers. The conversation always becomes a heated debate and goes nowhere good. Too bad, because I love to share why atheism is a more correct version of the universe than theism. But...I've learned to choose my battles.

Slowly, I'm coming out more and more as our child grows. It's important to me that she does not feel ashamed of embracing reality. Nor should she feel uncomfortable having an atheist family!

it's important to me that she does not feel ashamed of embracing reality.

Think about the lack of self confidence in that statement CP. You are obviously undergoing withdrawal symptoms.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service