Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?

I am semi in the closet. I do have to admit that I am not comfortable discussing my views with just anyone. I am the type that wants everyone to like me (such a fault I have!) and I am nervous someone will think I am a bad person. Even when I find someone who is passionate about science, I still try not to venture down that avenue. So lucky to have you guys!

Views: 11038

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Je sais, quand il le faut, quitter la peau du lion pour prendre celle du renard.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Ive always considered myself secular humanist on the one hand and naturalist on the other. Thanks for your input TNT666 I see an adjustment and more accurate focus on the horizon for me.

Yep, nurses are certainly an amazing group of empathetic people! I once had to spend two weeks in hospital after a crash and this one nurse said my accident it was a message from god... I placed a complaint with the hospital admin and my doctor and asked that she never enter my room again. She didn't!

I feel the weakest point in your argument is the "focus on our own survival". The human race have taken survival to an extreme, to the exclusion of all other aspects of living... as if we were on the verge of extinction!!! As if ever more humans on the planet is the only proper objective for this race. I see that as an poor objective. As soon as humanity went past the .5 billion mark, (the number estimated by BIOLOGISTS to be the carrying capacity for Homo sapiens on this planet, given the present state of the ecosystem) "survival of the human race" became the least of our concerns. I'm not interested in "survival", which is what we have traded our quality of life for. Homo sapiens now spends 1/3 of its life in old age and medicated... with our focus on outliving our natural lifespans... soon we'll be spending half of of life expectancy in old age and medicated. We were better off living a shorter but more intense life.

This is a problem I see with many in this atheist virtual community. Atheists get all excited about space exploration, but leave the science of biology aside. We accuse bible thumpers of picking and choosing which passages they like, yet so many atheists choose to ignore the most important science relevant to our own lives... biology. To me that is cherry picking science, which is little better than cherry picking the bible... Atheists who declare that they "believe in science" should not be cherry picking... Then again, there are plenty of atheists who aren't too concerned with science, that's a different topic.

I hope you two don't mind, but I figured since this topic was getting so much attention, and became such a continuing tangent in this topic that it deserved it's own thread. That way this one can stay on the issue of being open about being out of the closet. 

I particuarly have enjoyed the discussion, just didn't want to be inconsiderate to the OP any longer by flooding the thread. =)

http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/humanism-vs-naturalism

I think we're all atheists as far as the God of Abraham belief is concerned. ( remember that Abraham is the one that introduced us to this God that all the ho ha is about) but you would have to be cock sure of yourself to be able to say that there is not an ultimate inteligence bigger than the universe ( technically speaking) even though it is quite evident that the universe is self supporting.

That is why I like listening or reading Lawrence Krauss, Neil deGrasse Tyson, David Suzuki, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Galileo, Copernicus, and other scientists.

They discuss natural forces: gravity, magnetism, electricity, strong force and weak force, time and matter, chemistry, astronomy, physics, quantum physics, biology, geology, DNA, natural selection, evolution, etc.

They make more sense than god created earth in seven days, or whatever; that the universe is 6 thousand years old, or whatever; that Jesus walked on water, or whatever; that there is a heaven and hell and someone lets us pass through the gates, or whatever; that we are doomed to burn for eternity in hell if we don't obey, or whatever; that we must be born again, or whatever; that we will meet our loved ones in paradise, or whatever. 

I'm an asshole about it. I'll get in a fistfight if I have to. I have no respect for the religious and they can kiss my ass. 

Kevin, please don't. It will just give them ammo to label us as amoral, violent anarchists. Find quotes in the bible which make their positions look silly. Keep your anger, but direct it in a logical way. Force them to kiss your ass! ;)

William, I like that idea. 

Kevin, No need! Fighting verbally or physically with someone who believes god exists, that one is to obey god, that there are consequences if we don't accept Jesus as savior, is like fighting a cloud, or puff of smoke. There is nothing of substance to fight about. Save your energy for enjoying life and all that implies. 

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service