Even thou A|N is less then a year old, we are already making an impact in the realm of unbelief. As we approach the new year, I can't help but think (and dream) of what we collectively could accomplish in 2009.

Let's brainstorm. What are your ideas? What would you like to see us achieve this year?

Also, this shouldn't be a place to poo-poo other's ideas. Let's just dream unencumbered, and then worry about the details once we get some decent ideas.

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It has been interesting reading this "discussion."

I wish I didn't live in a world where I had to declare my absence of belief. However, living in America, especially in the South, there is no getting away from it.

I used to avoid the, "are you an atheist" question. I would say things like, I don't play golf, but I don't call myself an agolfist. However, this came across like I was trying to hide something. Now, I say, yes I am an atheist, just like you are a theist. However, this is just the beginning of what I am. You can't know anything about my beliefs if you judge me by what all atheists do, just like I can't judge you by what all theists do. If I did, you (if I am speaking with a Christian) would be responsible for insane actions of fundamentalist Muslims. Then I go on to explain what I do believe. I declare myself a Humanist, a Naturalist, a Skeptic, etc.

As someone who interacts and "preaches" daily with theists, this works pretty well. Someday, hopefully this will change, but for now it is a necessary evil.
Richard: I've been soapboxing for "post-theist" as a way to describe my (non) belief. I think that most former believers who have 'graduated' to atheism have reached a kind of adulthood that should be recognized as growth. My fondest wish is that our current religions and gods will go the way of the Egyptian, Aztec, Roman, Greek and the rest of discarded mythology and that all of humankind will arrive at a post-theistic understanding, hopefully before it blows itself off the planet altogether. In the meantime, I think those who have successfully left religion behind should be proud to have reached the other side and to refer to themselves as "post-theists", much as someone with a Masters Degree can call himself a postgraduate.
"Reason", "science" and "common sense" are already under a full scale assault and siege. It would change nothing.
I am not reading through all 212 comments, so this may be repetitive. When I "realized" that I was an atheist, it seemed like there was no one to relate to me. I really had to reach out and search for people who think how I think. One of our biggest focuses should be to mentor and reach out to those who are questioning and who are new atheists, especially the high school and college age crowd, and provide a community where they can feel comfortable and accepted. In particular, I think we have to be very welcoming to those who are questioning/unsure and are newly "out" of a faith community. Sometimes we scare them away :)
This is a great idea. I have been writing an "atheist starter kit," and I think it might fit well on Atheist Nexus. Thanks.
Now this would be a good project for 2009. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in contributing.
Let's organize an effort to strike the motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" off our currency.
Let's launch a political campaign to get "E PLURIBUS UNUM" back onto our currency.
Let's place an atheist ad on buses like in London, England.
maybe a A.N. magazine..
Not a suggestion, but more a hands down to the designers of this site which now made me midly suprised in a positive way, seeing all the new CSS changes! :) Now, maybe allowing people to tweak their CSS a little on their own would be allowed, I hope :)
Brother Richard: This is a great idea. I have been writing an "atheist starter kit," and I think it might fit well on Atheist Nexus. Thanks.

Yeah it would be good. Here's a suggestion to implement it. Create a "start here" category for the forum. Currently, the main page and member home page have a "quick add" => "discussion" link -

As you can see, this defaults to "General Network Questions", which inevitably means irrelevant crap ends up there and I burst blood vessels and reach for my angina medication. Change the default to "start here". Can we make 'sticky' posts that are always at the top of the first category page ? If so, dump all the FAQs you want to make there. If not, then a script to keep to keep bumping them to the top (add blank post, delete blank post). New users can then be free to make all of the stuff ups they like with minimum fuss before proceeding into the general community.

My $0.02.
ahhh, so you thought we were talking about "that" foundation. We were talking about the James Randy who owns a chain of grocery stores in Milwaukee.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. It has been corrected. That's what you get when you set up a poll at 2:00AM while enjoying adult beverages.

Sorry to tell you this, but now that your dream has been fulfilled, you have to find another motivation and purpose for your life. :P
I was rather fond of the image of James Randi being randy. :-(

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service