Even thou A|N is less then a year old, we are already making an impact in the realm of unbelief. As we approach the new year, I can't help but think (and dream) of what we collectively could accomplish in 2009.

Let's brainstorm. What are your ideas? What would you like to see us achieve this year?

Also, this shouldn't be a place to poo-poo other's ideas. Let's just dream unencumbered, and then worry about the details once we get some decent ideas.

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We can rid the world of all believers if you let me play with you. Nothing will make them pluck out their own eyes faster than seeing a creaky old broad in an orgy that includes a former minister and a chuckly Aussie lady (Aussette?).
Now that's just KINKY, Ruth!
And?
Oh you are dirty. So wrong. So wrong.
I think there is a fundraising opportunity in this. How about a reality TV show called: "When Atheists Go Bad ...." ?
Aren't we always bad tho according to most people?
How about "When Atheists Raise Hell"? That should confuse the snot out of 'em.
I like this idea.
How about "Flog an atheist. $1.00 a swing"
or
"Dunk an atheist 2 balls for a dollar."
What would I like to see atheists do in 2009?

1.] I would like atheists to stop trying to organize, having conventions, meetings, and generally trying to participate in ordinary, institutionalized ways.
The fact that humans don’t organize around what they don’t believe in, opens the door of opportunity for atheists to do “something completely different”.
This site might be an example of the future of atheism and its manifestation.
2.] Admit that atheism is not the reason we exist. There are other things in our lives that are more important to our identities than what we don’t believe. If atheism is your life’s focus, it is time to step back and reassess.
3.] Quit arguing about the existence or nonexistence of god. What’s important is understanding the nature of faith.
This does not mean that we should ignore distortions of atheism, but that is difficult, as I have observed some of those same misconceptions expressed by atheists in just this forum.
4.] Maintain the sense of humor we seem to share.
5.] Remember, atheism is the lack of something, and accept the humility of your deprivation. It is the way.
no
Sorry, I found your post difficult to understand.
One thought is that religion has historically dictated how society has organized itself.
As atheists, we should not feel restricted to that paradigm.
A/N is organized but is not an organization. There are other ways of seeing, other ways of doing, other ways of revealing the simplicity of being free of faith.
In 2009 I would like to see these other ways explored.
Are you up for the trip?
Funk O;
Hmmm, being kinda new to these forums, I don’t know about the “customs” you all have established, but it does seem reasonable that we would be discussing these topics. I guess I haven’t found the relevant group or discussion thread yet. But...
To continue here, at least, after a superficial exploration of A/N I have some observations, and you could correct me if I’m mistaken.
Your response to my suggestions for 2009 does not surprise me, as your avatar seems aggressive, and the flaming middle finger in the face of your fellow atheists I found somewhat off-putting.
That aside, we could discuss my fifth suggestion as you seem to see it as “a difficulty many of us have”:

"5.] Remember, atheism is the lack of something, and accept the humility of your deprivation. It is the way."

The richness of our lives can be measured, not only by what we have, but also by what we can put aside, what we can do without, the encumbrances we can unburden from our daily comings and goings.
Faith is necessary to the faithful to maintain their own importance, to justify their very existence, and add meaning to their worldly presence.
Surely you can see that the lack of faith, while being part of the path to enlightenment, also necessitates a profound reassessment of our own presence in the cosmos.
We should not allow the self-righteous to assume a monopoly on humility, when, in fact, faith results in just the opposite.
We should be a beacon for the confused faithful, the wavering egos that abound within the religious communities.
That cannot be accomplished without humility. Or, for that matter, by sticking a flaming middle finger in their faces.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service