Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 12711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Catholic Ireland????

The majority of those countries are less religious in politics than the U.S.

Haven't you heard the one about the Irishman asking the newcomer if he was Catholic or Protestant. The man replied he was an atheist. So the Irishman said - yes but are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist.

John: The atomic bomb was a stretch. Shouldn't have used it - but I used it with every country being armed to achieve an end, not every person having an atomic bomb -  the way you took it.

My points were not intended as an attack - it was a discussion. Sometimes tone is lost with typed words versus direct conversation. I didn't think any of my other examples were absurd.

So we agree on violence used on our behalf by a police force being necessary, some form of gun control and using reason in the discussion.

i think we might disagree on how significant a crises the current gun situation is in the U.S. i think it is a problem that could or should be addressed better than it has been so far.

The point of this discussion never has been about gun violence used by the authorities. It was more about highly lethal weapons being easily accessible to the general population and how that has given the U.S. a grossly inflated murder, suicide, accidental gun death rate compared to other developed countries..

I guess I was confused by your point "My point here was to express disgust with those who take a moral high road in the argument when in essence they are just as guilty of gun based violence as anyone the only difference ethically being who pulled the trigger. "

I never saw that happening in this discussion - or never realized it happened in this discussion - unless you could point it out to me when it did occur.

Otherwise I'm glad we have some common ground and would like to politely disagree when we do not.

Manufacturing lethal weapons (from nuclear devices on down to Saturday night specials) is one of the most profitable ventures in the entire history of humankind. That's the bedrock reality beneath all the debates.

John, you have written a very informative explanation of the views on guns from both sides. I completely agree with it. You're absolutely correct that we have devolved into a screaming match. But on the matter of assault weapons alone would a ban reduce the number of deaths by guns ??

Nobody wants a screaming match with the gun issue. They want reasoned study. I still don't understand why congress is preventing the CDC from looking at this issue with scientific reasoned study. A lot of us did not like to be told to wear seat-belts many years ago. I remember not liking it and being forced to because of fines twenty years ago. I also remember that ten years ago wearing a seat-belt saved my life.

There are the high profile Orlando semi assault rifle cases. There are also many other murders, accidents, suicides etc that don't get headlines but greatly distinguish the U.S. from other countries with firearm deaths.

What is wrong with this argument asking for detailed study?

John, you have answered my question very well. And I am in complete agreement with the rest of your points. I know politicians and the media use faulty statistics for votes and ratings. Which makes it difficult for those of us who try and find an answer and are met with endless amounts of contradictory information.
A ban on assault weapons may help eliminate the number of people killed during mass shootings and I'm in favor of that.
Thanks for your reply.

I agree with you.  Please see my reply below.

The Colonial Gunsmith

Yes Steph, I cannot see any useful purpose for assault rifles, having even hunted with rifles, both automatic and single shot. 

Though I like how gun owners in the US have accomplished the banning of weapons from many restaurants by their own stupidity, which was something even the government failed to bring about.

Which makes me wonder if such gun enthusiasts should be considered as less intelligent than Creationists.

I agree, but it seems we are definitely in the minority on this one. Americans love guns and will not stand for any restrictions on their possession.

You're right about Americans not standing for restrictions on their possessions even though the 2nd Amendment gives the states the right to regulate weapons.

Joseph, until you add some specifics, your conclusion differs from that of another Heston: Charleton, a recent NRA officer. It also differs from current law.

You'll find specifics if you do a google search on "scotus heller" (you'll find the US Supreme Court ruling).

Update Your Membership :

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service