Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 12731

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Politicians who are cowed by the powerful gun lobby, afraid to vote against them despite the large majority of Americans who want more gun control, gladly accepting their dirty cash, and spreading their propaganda are not worthy of representing the people. They are not serving, they are an impediment and a major part of the psychosis that we collectively suffer.

When Obama became president, and started talking gun control, you would not believe how many guns were sold. I joined the NRA, and went down and bought an AK-47. The gun dealer said that Obama was the best gun salesman he'd ever seen. Every time someone in political power starts talking gun control, gun sales jump. We inherited a problem from our founders, and I can see no way out of it. There are over 300,000,000 weapons in the U.S., and a good portion of them, if not most, are unregistered. The reason they aren't registered is that when they were bought, it was not a requirement at the time. The gun that was used in Florida two days ago was purchased legally, and with a background check. The gun that was used to shoot Senator Gifford of Arizona, and all the others in that mass shooting was bought legally, and with a background check a few weeks before the shooting.  The San Bernardino massacre was done with weapons that were purchased legally, and with a background check. AND, if you were able to confiscate all the guns in the U.S., they would find another way to kill. Google "knife attacks in China". And if they can't find a knife , or gun, they are now starting to use autos to run people down and kill them in large numbers. Don't waste the taxpayer's money by trying to control guns. In the U.S. it's an impossibility. We inherited the problem. I don't have a solution, but I can't see wasting money on a program that we know won't work before we even start out.  Blaming the politicians and the NRA is a red herring.  What do you think a law will accomplish?  Criminals are called criminals because they don't obey laws.  What good is it going to do to make a law?  And why blame the NRA?  They are supplying a big demand by "legal" gun owners.  

Please, Donald, break long posts into several paragraphs.

Russell, we Homo Sapiens have not evolved as far you want.

Slightly different topic - prayer in schools = no more school shootings. Encouraging to see a lot of people wanting some sort of restrictions on weapons. I reposted it because this made sense to a relative and I have learned that my hopefully rational arguments do not sway anyone - would just cause bad blood with a relation.  My post said

Ashamed to say this was posted by a relative. If they only knew I reposted it to an audience that can come up with witty replies! (I hope)

500 plus mainly positive replies in 24 hours was very therapeutic.

The god who signed this tee is, as usual, either mistaken or lying.

It’s allowed in a school if each student, not the administration, brings her or his own god and doesn’t impose it on other students without their consent.

Has there ever been a god who was not imposed on people without their consent?

Imposing on people without their consent is the entire point of having a god.

“...the entire point of making a god.”

Today my religious friend since we were both 13 tried to switch what I was saying to him about the flu into his god belief. It's all about what god wants and not being cautious or washing your hands often, etc. I called bullshit and really put it on him. He suddenly decided that our phone conversation was terminated and he would talk to me another time. 

We've got to get along with secularist religious people that agree about prayers not being in school. This was posted by a pastor under my teeshirt posting.

When people use the ill-begotten refrain "we've kicked God out of our schools" they are saying, "We've kicked my idea of God out of our schools." That image of God is sadly, a god that is united with nationalism, a god who identifies with a certain race, a god who does not believe in gender equality, and this is a god who is united with militarism.
The God we see in Jesus Christ is still with God's people.

A perfect school prayer:

"I Prey my Prayers enact my god to to crush the Prayers of your God (diety)."

Update Your Membership :

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service