Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 12893

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've got to get along with secularist religious people that agree about prayers not being in school. This was posted by a pastor under my teeshirt posting.

When people use the ill-begotten refrain "we've kicked God out of our schools" they are saying, "We've kicked my idea of God out of our schools." That image of God is sadly, a god that is united with nationalism, a god who identifies with a certain race, a god who does not believe in gender equality, and this is a god who is united with militarism.
The God we see in Jesus Christ is still with God's people.

Sarcasm:

A perfect school prayer:

"I Prey my Prayers enact my god to to crush the Prayers of your God (diety)."

Yasser Arafat was once asked who would win the war in the Mideast and his reply was along the lines of it depending on who had the biggest "imaginary friend."

Isn't the Military Industrial complex one of the largest contributors to the  GDP in the U.S.?

I could probably look it up, but why bother?

https://everytownresearch.org/school-shootings/

Something like a school shooting  happeened every 60 hours since the geginning of the year 2018.   Perhaps they are just being reported more.   

Unverified news

https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/16/how-many-school-shootings-in-2018/

The Snopes article criticizes Everytown for Gun Safety, which originated that figure, for using an overly broad definition of school shooting. Their response: "Every time gunfire breaks out on school grounds, it can shatter a child’s sense that they are safe in their school and in their community. Tracking each of these incidents is an important way to measure some of the many ways that shootings affect children in this country."

During the relevant period, from January 1 to February 14, seven of the 17 incidents were firearms attacks during school hours, and two more were firearms attacks outside school hours (at a party on school grounds, and an attempted robbery). The other eight incidents were shots fired unintentionally or for unknown reasons, stray bullets hitting school buildings, and one act of suicide.

Nine school shootings in six weeks is still alarming!

Sorry if I jumped the shark with the following comments Russell.

The following comments are partly sarcasm  mixed with concern.

The Military Industrial complex  is one of the largest contributors to the  GDP in the U.S.

I wonder if that misconcieved militaristic culture contributes to the terrible gun violence in the U.S.

290 School Shootings in America Since 2013

News reports indicate a school shooting in the U.S. since the beginning of 2018  every 60 hours.

https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/16/how-many-school-shootings-in-2018/

I wonder how many parents  homeschool their children because the parent's perceived threats to the safety of theif kids - mainly that they will learn how to behave in the greater world.

Home schooled children don't have to learn about anthropology, science, math, or  for that matter anything the cult the parents raise them with can do what they wish..  

Thirteen siblings found chained, starving in California home; parents charged

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-police-13-hostages-aged-2-29-...

Homeschooling  didn't protect the thirteen home scholled kids referenced in the above link.

In full sarcasm and a leap frog for public education and school choice.

Loaded teachers for school choice.

Sarcastically, who would argue that an elementary school teacher would be able control the curriculum better than with a concealed weapon?

Devoss may say "You'll learn her version of the bible at the point of a gun ----- or in old Catholic Catticism days how to measure a ruler.

I'm an Australian and know that strict gun control works, but it wouldn't harm their 2nd Amendment if semi-automatic rifles were taken off their weapons menu.

As they could still purchase shotguns and handguns, since there is no practical use to a civilian for a military rifle.

Though I know that some semiautomatic rifles can rapid fire without bump-stocks as I grew up with rifles and had a semiautomatic rifle that would rapid fire if I just pulled the trigger back enough to release the hammer, the rebound off my shoulder or hip would cause it to rapid fire, just as if I was using a bump-stock.   It was a waste of ammo, when the first shot took out the bunny and I wasted 9 rounds.  

It was accidental, so I wasn't happy, as I didn't get paid enough to waste bullets on bunnies, so rapid fire is useless for a farmer or even a hunter.

So I'm in full support of those brave young students who are taking their protests to the government.

It's about time somebody stood up to their NRA and called them out.

As far as I'm concerned, the NRA is complicit and should be held accountable for every mass shooting and murder due to military style rifles since Sandy Hook.  

It's essentially the NRA's fault that those weapons are still readily available to Americans.

https://vimeo.com/153188956

Russell - you could have stopped that question earlier. You all didn't elect Dolt45.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service