Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 13103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Russell - you could have stopped that question earlier. You all didn't elect Dolt45.

We will know when Canadians have a candidate like Dolt45 and a competing candidate like H.

We had a candidate that emulated Trump that did not succeed. We don't have as strong a religious right vote as they do in the states which helped to elect Trump. Also we separate religion and politics a lot more. An ex Prime Minister went on Bill Maher and stated that if a Canadian candidate tried to wrap themselves too much in religion like they do in the U.S., that would destroy their bid for power.

I never thought i would see this.   Hundreds of thousands marching in favor of gun control like most developed countries in the world have.

Students chanting against the NRA.

Protesters in my home city as well. I like their signs in Toronto

Never thought i would see the Berlin wall fall either - But it did.

I agree! 

Bert, that many Millennials will also stop a GOP Congressman with a gun fetish.

Russell, with the number of posts to this discussion nearing 800, you may have here enough material for a book on this subject. Culling the repetitions will require hours, but you have the thinking of many non-religious folk, who are often charged with having no morality. Do you think the benefits worth the time it will require?

When I retire and have more time. Got a few years left in me yet. Maybe it will even be a richer discussion to mine by then.

I look at what those kids from Parkland have started, especially David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez, and I think maybe THIS time the NRA has something to genuinely be concerned about.  These two and others with them are the actual VICTIMS of mass shootings, pulling a Howard Beale and saying "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore."  Laura Ingraham has already learned the hard way that taking cheap shots at at least one of them was not just poor judgment, but potentially deleterious to her current position at Fox.  Calling Emma Gonzalez a "skinhead Lesbian" effectively ended any chance Leslie Gibson's run for public office might have.  Meantime, they have demonstrated considerable poise and grasp of the issues, as well as the ability to express themselves in a calm and deliberate yet incisive manner.  Even more importantly, they've stated more than once that they aren't done with the March For Our Lives.  They mean to press through all the way to the midterm elections and possibly beyond, which will do gun-loving candidates for office no favors at all.

From where I sit, anyone who fails to take these kids seriously demonstrates a level of cluelessness which may be harmful if not fatal to any influential intentions they might have.

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service