Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 13174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Time will tell.

Do they know of the federal debt that we, since Reagan, have left them?

Bank of America to stop lending to military-style weapons makers

The Hill

What a surreal house rule for a Canadian using Airbnb in Houston Texas in a few weeks.

House Manual

NO GUNS!

Please no early check ins or late check outs.

A little creepy.

Talk about surreal reinforcement of my prejudiced impressions of the Southern USA. I make a joke about guns and coming to Houston and on the next day that I am flying into the city there is that tragic local high school shooting. Now im on a greyhound bus to San Antonio and two people are ranting about finding Jesus loudly at the back of the bus. Im so glad I live in Canada. We have our zealots as well, but im less likely to run into them.

Russell, I've lived here all of my life and what you are experiencing now is what I find almost daily. Religion, guns, and Trump supporters. I've had enough of all 3 of them and more too. Idiots are going off on others now for speaking anything that is not English. I had no idea that this nonsense was "my America" until the Donald turned it all upside down. I hate that man. Some day he will get his. 

That day is coming, Michael.  Be patient, but know that it IS coming.

Michael, i have a newfound respect for what you have to endure.

Proof of the old bit of political wisdom regarding the press, "Say what you want about me, but spell my name right." [translation: There's no such thing as bad press.]

Per Huffpost:

• Last week’s school shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, that killed 10 students and teachers isn’t significantly reviving the momentum for gun control that followed the February massacre in Parkland, Florida, new HuffPost/YouGov polling suggests.
  •  Slightly more than half of the public now calls gun violence a very serious problem, down from 60 percent in February. A 56-percent majority say it’s possible to pass new gun laws without violating the Second Amendment, down from a high of 65 percent. And, regardless of how they personally feel about the subject, just 40 percent now think passing new gun laws is politically possible, down from 50 percent.

- - - - -

• > Slightly more than half of the public now calls gun violence a very serious problem

Am I the only one that's astounded that this is "slightly more than half?"

Bertold, these numbers slam through my body like shotgun blasts, raising to new heights feelings of being unsafe, insecure, and unstable with no remedy through an uninspiring president, a hamstrung legislature, and a judicial system as wacky as the rest of our government. 

Working in the education of the poor my entire adult life reveals that I should have been working with those who vote and those who ask for our votes. 

• 50 percent of the public now calls gun violence a very serious problem;  
  • 56 percent say it’s possible to pass new gun laws without violating the Second Amendment, 
  • 40 percent now think passing new gun laws is politically possible.

What will it take to get 100% of the public to call gun violence a momentous problem; 

100% of the executive to declare it is necessary to pass new gun laws;

100% of the legislature to declare it is necessary to pass new gun laws;

100% of the judicial system to uphold new gun laws?

One of the arguments about guns is that people need to study and demonstrate competence before being allowed to operate a vehicle. Why not require something similar to a driver's license for guns?

This video shows how inept people can be with guns with regards to their own safety - some of these are tough to watch - especially the last one. How not to handle a lethal weapon.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service