Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 13627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, you have answered my question very well. And I am in complete agreement with the rest of your points. I know politicians and the media use faulty statistics for votes and ratings. Which makes it difficult for those of us who try and find an answer and are met with endless amounts of contradictory information.
A ban on assault weapons may help eliminate the number of people killed during mass shootings and I'm in favor of that.
Thanks for your reply.

I disagree! Guns have no place in civilized society. We are no longer hunter/gatherer people. We Live in houses someone else built, eat food someones else grows, drink water someone else engineered, we drive cars someone else built, we work at jobs someone else creates, and when someone is sick, someone else takes care of us.

For what purpose do we need guns?

Yes, there are people who like to hunt or target practice; for what is an automatic gun needed to do those things. Some want to have big trucks with gun racks in the back window; now why is that? Does it have anything to do with being a man? Or a woman with an appetite for big guns?

Joan, most Americans are civilized.

A few are not and many of them use guns to commit crimes.

Do you want them to be the only people with guns?

In America, one of the world’s most violent nations?

I am so glad I live in Canada with better handling of gun control. We could still do a lot better - there was that Mosque shooting in Quebec and recent mentally unstable individual shooting in Toronto. There is a conversation going on here about stiffening up our gun laws even more. It doesn't help that we border a country that has laughable control over weapons and people smuggle guns over the border that is used in gang warfare.  Maybe we need a wall.

Someone told me that fear based people feel a need have guns around. As I wrote previously people in conflict zones are more apt to behave violently and have a feeling to protect hemselves with guns.

Sorry I should be better at writing more about this.

Sorry Perhaps many of the problems is that people don't trust others.

I disagree. Yes, I am for freedom, the kind of freedom where I can teach in a classroom and know that someone with mental illness or out-of-control anger will not come in and kill most, if not all of my students. I want to go to dinner and expect to be able to go home at night without a shooter using me for target practice. 

Why is one-bullet-at-a-time not enough? Even with hunting, a good hunter should be able to dispatch an animal without causing it undue pain. 

With a president who says and does revolting things, there exists a segment of our population that agrees with him. Even with a mentally healthy, mature, adult president, there exist those who have pent up rage and take it out on others. 

I love freedom! At 83 years of age I have lost too many freedoms. I want to drive and do not. I want to live in my own home and do not. I want to travel and do not. Not because I had my freedom taken from me but because I am unable to do for myself what I once could. I lost my freedom and so all decent, law-abiding citizens lose their freedom to go and do what they want safely because someone WANTS an assault weapon. One pulled trigger to one bullet. 

You may think of me as "some scared ill-informed activist." Yes, I am scared. I am well informed. I am civilized. 

If you want an automatic gun, go to a test range; we limit where people can shoot guns, it only makes sense to limit what people want if they want such a potentially deadly weapon. 

After watching your video I tend to agree guns should only be in the hands of professionals - who likely aren't trained  or smarter than anyone else.

Don't know much.

Fun with Marines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHxf17yJsK

Steph,

I agree with you.  Please see my reply below.

The Colonial Gunsmith

Yes Steph, I cannot see any useful purpose for assault rifles, having even hunted with rifles, both automatic and single shot. 

Though I like how gun owners in the US have accomplished the banning of weapons from many restaurants by their own stupidity, which was something even the government failed to bring about.

Which makes me wonder if such gun enthusiasts should be considered as less intelligent than Creationists.

Broken link.

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service