Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 13628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well asked, Chris. The fake late 1700s history I was taught made no mention of taking the western lands — the Appalachians — away from England, who was protecting the natives who were there.

America’s rulers, after trying but failing to conquer Canada, stated their intentions with the Monroe Doctrine, telling European rulers to stay out of “the Americas” — the USA and Central and South America, and probably certain Caribbean inations.

I don't know much.

Heard that the Suoux and Appachie didn't have the sourage of Western plagues because they didn't trade with Europeans. 

I read conflicting historical reports that the U.S. inocculated some of the Indigiouous tribes to keep the 'plague' from spreading.

I'm not sure what to think about it.

I'm going to jump the ship and ask, or say why is the U.S. such a violent country militarially?

Gun control should move out of governmental conflict and war.

That's too difficult a subject though isn't it?

I'm not going to put the statictics up.

It should be common knowlege that most deaths from gun violence is suicide.

I have no idea about gun deaths. Let me look it up. Oh yes! The suicide rate is terrible, as is the use of Rx drug use. 

I see a silver lining in a growing trend, and that has to do with the younger people who take an interest in what happens with this out of control war machine we have here. Many seem to be looking away from violence and seeking a calmer lifestyle. 

I see it in the homesteading movement that grows so fast; one can hardly keep up with the developments. At this time, there needs to be a breadwinner to pay for the money-economy things of life, but they find ways to live more straightforward lives and rely on their efforts of growing 75% of their food. One of the big reasons they turn to homesteading is the realization that corporate agriculture uses too many chemicals on crops and the blood tests show the presence of toxic substances in their bodies.

I know, our family grows more food than ever before and we look for a way to expand our efforts.  

There was a funny May West saying

"Is that a Pistol in your Pocket, or you just glad to see me?"

Perhaps for the most part fifties movies about cowboys   negitively influenced he U.S.

I curiously think that the Monroe doctrine and other things may result in  the general violence in the U.S. 

Untill that's addressed noththing wlse will.

Perhaps more ambasoders and people who work for the state department would help.

Chris

Kind of odball,

Theree was an argument I rad about  the second ammendment and melitias to keep slaves and "Ownership" intact.

I'd like to know why poor white share croppers faught for wealthy landowners duringe civil war?

Probably the same reason that people are enamored by wealth.

Wealh doesn't make one more inttelegent than some one one else nor does being Her Magisty of England, - the Dutch Monarch, or any or stuff.

The Walt Disney company can shove a rod up it's rectum for promoting royalty.

Sorry,

Going to add that the  Royals in France, Germany, England and Russia are a bunch of inbreads. I should ad  Spain, Denmarkk and other to that as well..

What is my religioun  It's democracy.

Kooky,

It should be okay to meet and have sex with someone - on a one night stand - or month  while visiting.

Without having to pay the price of raising a child.

Gun control  in my opinion is something like a shot gun marriage?

Ever seen a shotgun marriage?

I have - they don't work.

A good line I saw recently about reproductive rights, and (by implication) the sexual freedom between consenting adults that you're referring to:

Every mother a willing mother, every child a wanted child.

Every mother a willing mother;

Every father a willing father; 

Every child a wanted child.

Are you writing from a male point of view, or did you take into account the female when you typed, "It should be okay to meet and have sex with someone - on a one night stand - or month while visiting. Without having to pay the price of raising a child"? Can you take the point of view of a woman?

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service