Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 13671

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am happy you present your viewpoint and you do not need to ask permission. If I do not agree with you I have the right to say so and we continue as friends. That is what good communication is all about. 

I meant this reply for Chris. 

Russell, what does WOW Six days to start the ban on assault weapons. 

Do you mean WOW, good? or WOW bad?

Well Joan - I started this post in 2012 and volunteered to come down and march with those who were in favor of gun control. I grew up in a country that is not so pro gun that we are comfortable with anyone being able to get semi assault weapons. We also don't tend to ask our politicians running for office if they believe in God.

My fantasy that a lot of atheists who share my perspective on religion, would share my perspective on gun control was dashed as a lot of people first surprised me with support for loose gun controls and then depressed me as countless mass shootings did not have any impact on their positions.

So Wow ... a country that supported the sale of semi assault weapons turned on a dime and banned them after a mass shooting. I like how one former police official told the the NRA to "bugger off". I like how one farmer turned in his weapon saying it worked well in getting rid of animal pests, but the issue is too important for him to keep his weapon.

Ah! Russell, I thought I knew you well enough to know that is your position. Our gun violence is wretched.

America’s unique gun violence problem, explained in 17 maps and cha...

I remembered that you put in the time, effort, and money to come in support of gun control in the US. Things seem to be getting worse, especially in the present political climate here. 

Further thoughts, Joan:

America’s gun violence shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Our highly competitive capitalism, with its “The devil take the hindmost” attitude, is war by another means.

As an evolutionist might say, our capitalism selects for sociopathy.

Russell seems unable to accept that reality. If he doesn’t adjust his idealism, it may become cynicism before it becomes realism.

BTW, the above link to 17 maps doesn’t work on my iPad. I will try it on a PC.

May not like this

The U.S. is a colonial warrier nation.    Assault weapons aren't likely to be banned.

If you don't agree with that tell me when in the history was the U.S. not at war or a conflict in  parts of the world since its "founding?"

Well asked, Chris. The fake late 1700s history I was taught made no mention of taking the western lands — the Appalachians — away from England, who was protecting the natives who were there.

America’s rulers, after trying but failing to conquer Canada, stated their intentions with the Monroe Doctrine, telling European rulers to stay out of “the Americas” — the USA and Central and South America, and probably certain Caribbean inations.

I don't know much.

Heard that the Suoux and Appachie didn't have the sourage of Western plagues because they didn't trade with Europeans. 

I read conflicting historical reports that the U.S. inocculated some of the Indigiouous tribes to keep the 'plague' from spreading.

I'm not sure what to think about it.

I'm going to jump the ship and ask, or say why is the U.S. such a violent country militarially?

Gun control should move out of governmental conflict and war.

That's too difficult a subject though isn't it?

I'm not going to put the statictics up.

It should be common knowlege that most deaths from gun violence is suicide.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service