Atheists are a small minority in the U.S.  Advocates of gun control might be a minority in America as well. In light of the recent shootings in Aurora I am curious as to how atheists in this network view the lack of gun restrictions.  There are probably divergent views.

I have trouble believing that both presidential candidates are steering away from any call for reform after the horrific mass shooting. In my opinion it is insane to allow citizens access to assault weapons that can kill scores of people in a few minutes.  It was even more shocking to hear on a news show that a family had to raise money to pay for the immense hospital bills for one of the victims while they were already crippled with medical bills from the mothers fight with breast cancer.

As a Canadian I came to stand with my U.S brothers for the reason rally and freedom from religion.  I would be willing to come down to the capitol and march for two other important causes.  Gun control and universal health care.

Views: 8983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally....a comment  I can agree with...Thank you  Craig for  writing  such an eloquent  essay.......Especially  from someone  who  actually  knows  a lot  about guns and and  realizes  that  guns  are  dangerous weapons  that need  more  regulation not less.....I respect you so much.......

I agree with your assessment, Freethinker. 

Craig, as usual, you make a lot of sense. I am afraid of guns, and I do not deny it. I do not own one and will not because I don't want to have a gun near me or others to have guns who live with me. I can live with your recommendations. Your rationale for registration, background checks, mental health exams, and insurance acknowledges the concerns I have and provides reasonable safeguards. I realize that gun lovers may not agree with this, however, if I can compromise this far, there should be some give on the arms-owners part.  I realize illegal guns continue to exist; that is beyond my control and probably beyond the government's ability to control. 

I would like to have a drone to two and hone in on some nasty characters in town. 

Joan,

Do you want those drones armed?

:-D~

Yes! Armed with cow chips and turkey droppings with a little bull pee, just to cause it to have a good splatter effect! If I miss my target, at least I will be contributing to the quality of their sand. Perhaps I should put some seeds in the bomb as well. Start a little garden. 

I agree with you. I grew up in a "gun culture" household and used and handled guns frequently. Quite frankly, my family's love for guns is just as batshit as their love for their invisible friend in the sky.

A. Noni's "right" to own a dangerous weapon ends at the point where my personal safety is concerned. A Christian's "right" to be a bigot ends where the rights of homosexuals and minorities begin. A Muslim's "right" to wear a burqa ends at the entrance of the local bank. A person's "right" to smoke ends at my nose and mouth. Your "rights" end where the public's right to safety and equality begin. 

At this point, no one would advocate the right to keep and bear RPGs. We already agree upon that limitation to the second amendment. All I would ask is that we considering expanding those restrictions a bit more. A competent hunter doesn't need huge clips or certain types of ammunition. That would be a logical place to start. 

We are told that driving a car is a privilege because of how dangerous cars can be. They are not designed to kill people, but can still cause great bodily harm. We go through extensive training and must pass driving tests in order to gain and retain the privilege to drive, but due to America's quasi-religious gun culture, any yahoo can simply walk into a store and buy a gun, an instrument designed to cause bodily injury. State laws vary, but it's still easier to gain access to a gun than it is to get a driver's license.

Due to the religiosity of gun nuts, I think we're likely to see gun control in America roughly the same time we see peace in the Middle East. It's that same non-thinking adherence to tradition, just in another form.

@Moose, re facts:

The AR15, AK47 civilian model, and similar weapons have big clips that can be changed quickly.  Semiautomatic hunting rifles are loaded through the receiver into an internal magazine, usually 5 rounds.  So yeah, you can shoot them fast, but you can't do that much damage per second.

Also, the calibre of the bullet is only part of the damage equation, and you know it.  

I support gun rights, and agree that your guns are your business, but please don't spread misinformation among the scared ill-informed populace.

Larry, I have an AK-47 civilian model, and I can use it for hunting.  The clip I have for it holds about 10 rounds, but I was offered a clip (drum style) that holds 100 rounds from a friend.  I also have a lever-action hunting rifle that loads into the receiver as you stated.   I can use both for hunting, and if I were mentally ill, I dould do a lot of damage before the police arrived. with the semiautomatic hunting rifle,

Steph,

I agree with you.  Please see my reply below.

The Colonial Gunsmith

Yes Steph, I cannot see any useful purpose for assault rifles, having even hunted with rifles, both automatic and single shot. 

Though I like how gun owners in the US have accomplished the banning of weapons from many restaurants by their own stupidity, which was something even the government failed to bring about.

Which makes me wonder if such gun enthusiasts should be considered as less intelligent than Creationists.

I agree, but it seems we are definitely in the minority on this one. Americans love guns and will not stand for any restrictions on their possession.

You're right about Americans not standing for restrictions on their possessions even though the 2nd Amendment gives the states the right to regulate weapons.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service