Being atheist does not mean I obsess over religion

It seems whenever I check in on American atheist organizations' social media pages or atheist Facebook groups there is post after post centered on religion, whether it is about politics, religious fanatics or religious quotes on public property. I've always felt out of touch with this "obsession with religion" presented by atheist organizations because, having identified as atheist for over a decade, I've never obsessed over religion but rather just lived life.

A piece from my personal blog... https://www.laurenelltalk.com/being-atheist-does-not-mean-i-obsess-...

Views: 593

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lauren, you can try to open:

1. atheists’ minds to conservatism or Republicanism, or

2. conservatives’ or Republicans’ minds to atheism.

Learn from the responses you get. The energy you put into complaining is energy you waste.

Someone claims that David Silverman, current Prex of American Atheist, is a Republican. But this found him on YouTube at a Conservative Convention.

Thomas, I think it was Lincoln who advised “keep your friends close and your enemies closer”. Leaders of organizations do that or they are poor leaders.

I'm confused. You expect atheist organizations to communicate with, as in reach out to, political parties? That's not the purpose of atheism.

>that doesn't mean they will communicate with an atheist group representing the political party you are registered with.

Why should they, (especially if that party actively promotes values antithetical to theirs)?

The amount of communication depends on the number and degree of commitment of the members in the atheist group that claims to represent a political party.

In short, how much political power does Republican Atheists have?

Now to play the role of a true skeptic. You have made the claim. I do not believe you. Now please provide the links to prove it.

Most atheist groups care to not communicate with Republican Atheists. A few incidents that went south..

- Secular Coalition for America - http://republicanatheists.com/secular-coalition-america-challenged-...

- Young Skeptics - http://republicanatheists.com/executive-director-young-skeptics-res...

A post by Atheist Alliance of America

I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it.

--John Stuart Mill

I do mean that Liberals are generally naive and Conservatives are generally cruel. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that no hon. Gentleman will question it.

—Tom Sarbeck

The glories of our two-party system: Republicans are evil and Democrats couldn't pull a prick out of a lard bucket.

Oh no, now I have that visual....

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service