Being Childfree Is Not Being Selfish

Breeders often defame childfree people as selfish.   This is not justified, because it confuses healthy self-interest and inconsiderate selfhishness.

Healthy self-interest accepts the importance of one's own legitimate wellbeing under the one condition of responsibility and consideration, that no other person is taken advantage of, exploited, damaged, hurt or seriously desturbed and annoyed.  

Selfishness is putting one's own wellbeing first without any responsibility or consideration.  Taking advantage, exploiting, damaging, hurting or seriously desturbing and annoying others is accepted without any guilt as collateral damage.  

Childfree people follow their legitimate self-interest, their not-breeding does not damage or harm anybody.   Therefore childfree people are not selfish. 

copy from my ERCP-Blog

Views: 511

Replies to This Discussion

Since English is not my native language, I do sometimes misunderstand things.  

Considering the other meaning:  I am convinced, that the kind of subconscious instinctive urges are converted into conscious values.  That means, the values represent the instincts like the visible tip of the iceberg.  

A strong procreation instinct is unconscious, but the people afflicted with it are prone to consciously develop the positive value to become content rabbits.   People without the procreation instinct are prone to value the individual freedom of not breeding.  

Maruli, I like your iceberg analogy!  I never thought of it that way.  (What is your native language?)
I am German (for those, who do not read profiles...)
The ENTIRE human brain is an animal brain.  I know that you know this.  Also, as animals, our instincts are very important - not obsolete.  We should just use our (animal) minds, too.
I wrote another blog entry about the paradox of breeders and non-breeders both accusing each other as selfish.    Breeders, Non-Breeders And The Reciprocal Accusation Of Selfishness

http://nihrecord.od.nih.gov/newsletters/2008/07_25_2008/story1.htm

This is the rat overcrowding study by Calhoun.  In his notes, he refers to those rats who, in the face of overcrowding, just became unsociable, who groomed themselves, and did not become violent, as "The beautiful ones".   I guess we, at this site, are "the beautiful ones."!

thanks, that was interesting to read

http://nihrecord.od.nih.gov/newsletters/2008/07_25_2008/story1.htm

This is the rat overcrowding study by Calhoun.  In his notes, he refers to those rats who, in the face of overcrowding, just became unsociable, who groomed themselves, and did not become violent, as "The beautiful ones"  I guess we, at this site, are "the beautiful ones."!

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service