Thrown Out to Witness"\

"I did try to evangelize several relatives, one aunt in particular, but (perhaps unsurprisingly) that didn’t go so well."

"Evangelizing my peers in college didn’t go so well either"

Libby Anne

I was a good evangelizer, many of my students, children, and adults became christian and made a commitment to follow Jesus and trust god. 

I'm not proud of my success! Christianity didn't work well for me, I was promised "The Fruits of the Spirit" and I felt like a homemaking, love making slave. Why wasn't I experiencing the good stuff? Questions! Doubt! Anger! Fear!     Examine! Explore! Experiment! Religion didn't work for me because of the many fallacies of its teachings, they do not lead to mentally healthy, mature, adult functioning! 

Would astrology help? No, it was woo-woo. Too much like religion.

Would Buddhism help? Yes, in a way it gave me some tools to handle stress but it didn't end the stress. 

Would education help? A little, at first, more as I discussed ideas with other people, absolutely as I learned about biology, chemistry, paleontology, geology, and evolution! Life on Earth began to make sense to me and the teachings of the church made no sense to me at all. Voilà! 

The author of this piece did the same thing, she was an active evangelical, she learned enough science to be dangerous to her beliefs and faith, and she became an atheist. She fooled around with clothes and hairdos more than I did, but the outcome was the same. Atheism frees the mind to think, make connections, question, and to be skeptical. From that activity and the emotional release it provided opened a better quality of life for me and for my children. 

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I couldn't handle the cognitive dissonance. 

Christianity is the ultimate truth.  But its inspirational work, the Bible, is full of fiction.  It's promoters lie continuously, and lie about lying, and spin about their lies about lying. 

Christianity is the ultimate law of life.  But its lawbook, the Bible, is contradictory and vague, and its promoters pick and choose which laws they will follow and which laws they demand others follow.

Christianity is the ultimate revelation.  But its stories are unproven, and there is little or no evidence that most are true.  The most essential stories, the creation, the flood, the Passover, the Jesus story, have more evidence against them, than for them.  In most cases, those stores are as close to proven false as anything long ago can be proven. 

Christianity and the christian god are love personified.  Yet the works of the Christian god are violence and hatred personified, scapegoating, genocide, persecution, torture and cruelty beyond measure. and the history of Christians is that the faithful commit those acts with each new generation almost without pause.  Centuries of torture, murder, persecution, and Christians still call it love, and argue about who hates the most, them or others.

Christianity is inclusion of all peoples.  Yet, again, all that scapegoating, exclusion, invasion, land grab, colonization, enslavement of tens of millions, Jim Crow, wars of attrition against "them", and flag-waving by "us".

All that cognitive dissonance.  How do they do it?  I was not able to maintain so many contradictions in my mind.  Life might have been easier if I did, but I could not.

Christianity is all that and a bowl of chips ... except that there's no bowl, no chips, and no "all that" ... once you go past the superficial appearances they offer.

Thanks, Loren, you too, write evocative prose. 

Daniel, excellent description of the failure of belief in supernatural god. You write powerfully! 

...I would like to add that for further studies and demonstrations of cognitive dissonance go visit the Cognitive Dissonance Museum located at Petersburg, Kentucky, US.

Lawrence Krauss,"Touring his “museum” is an exercise in chronic irritation, as every exhibit is a dishonest mess, all justified with that pathetic excuse of "One world, two views"

Joan, I made the mistake of believing that if religion wasn't helpful at least it was harmless. That was when I was agnostic. So I saw no harm in letting her attend church with my family. When I finally claimed Atheism I knew religion was harmful. My daughter had been thoroughly brain washed. She never bought into the racism, homophobia, or bigotry that fundamentalist preach.
She's agnostic now. She married a man who claims to be Christian. The only outward sign of his beliefs is mumbling a prayer to himself before he eats.

Kathy, I can imagine your experiences and share your thinking. Realizing belief in superhuman power can harm one in many different ways. I wonder what it would be like to sit down with your son-in-law for a private chat? He may be having some doubts; mumbling a meal prayer may be a sign of grudging obedience to a fallacy. 

I had such a private discussion with my s-i-l and he revealed he was a non-believer. My daughter continues to hold superstitious ideas. 

I agree with Loren and Daniel. There comes a time when we see through the veil. That happened to me after years of studying the bible. There is no way back. I cannot stand the lies and nonsense any longer. I could never go back and just pretend. Religion is a crutch.

I believe that anyone who is intelligent and does not fear their peers will eventually come to this conclusion.

Unfortunately, that time never comes for many; seeing through the veil doesn't occur.

Our son was raised moderate protestant -- go on Sunday, short prayers before meals, little more.

But an evangelical youth leader wormed his way into the Presbyterian youth group and tried to push them deeper.  Our son was the only one who fell for it.

After college he moved to Texas for a job, and found intense religion.  He's now a young earth creationist, married a woman in the church, raised their daughters and now their granddaughter in that belief.

Will any of them ever escape?

In Texas?  Doesn't seem likely to me.

I feel your sorrow, Jerry. If it is any comfort to you, I was a full-fledged born-again christian living in central Texas when I felt smothered and left Texas, religion, and my husband. 

We, my three children and I, created new celebrations to replace the ones we lost when we left. They were only 10-years old at the time and I thought we should have some fun things to look toward throughout the year. We celebrated seed planting time (to replace Easter) and Yule (to replace Christmas). 

My children are 53 years old now and we still have a Spring Equinox celebration with a big dinner and treasure hunt and celebrate Winter Solstice with a log burning at the fire pit in the snow to mark the shortest day of the year. My great-grandchildren look forward to these festivities. 

My hunch is that if you have fun, using whatever device you want to mark the passing of time, your grandchildren and great-grandchildren will notice the fun you have and want to be a part of it. They may also have questions for you and you can be honest about your beliefs. 

Cognitive dissonance is when a Catholic priest is praised by his flock for his good works with poor children yet the same children are disturbed and confused by by doing Gods work behind the scenes.

"...doing God's work behind the scenes,"

Thomas, is that a euphemism for something?

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service