Best forum area to set up discussion on cosmology / size, age, mass and other attributes of universe?

Hi - recently there was a thread on some aspects of this topic, and there was interested discussion by several people but I think it got bogged down, there were accusations of trolling, etc.  I didn't have time to follow the whole thing, and then the thread was terminated.

I'm wondering if we might be able to reframe the question/discussion and continue it in a way that doesn't run into quite so much trouble.  I guess that will be up to us and the moderators, but if I'm proposing to start a thread, is that best placed here in the Water Cooler area?  Or put it in Philosophy?  Or is there an area where broader science questions are usually discussed here on Atheist Nexus?

I do have a couple of views on this topic.  They are not super well-developed, and I don't have an in-depth understanding of any modern science on it, but I think it's a natural topic for some consideration.

Views: 343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I understand your point. The rules we suggested seem reasonable to me, are well within the over all forum rules. I am a big proponents of the freedom of speech, however I fail to see how encouraging people to remain objective, avoid false equivalence ect would somehow limit free speech or weigh the discussion down. I'm not scared of tin had silliness, in fact at times I quite enjoy it at times. I do however acknowledge when I'm engaging in fanciful thought and distinguish it from reality. I don't give it a false equivalence placing it on par with reality.

I agree that the OP of the thread you mentioned was in fact framed in a more philosophical sense, however it was highly manipulative and leading. It's goal was to trick people into buying into the EU book the OP writer wanted to sell. I'm very aware and sensitive to manipulative tactics like that since I grew up in an environment where people would always use such tactics. I am compelled to stand up and call people out when they do this. The discussion was not in good faith, it was no different than so many other forms of apologetic, trying to catch people on an idea they prolly have not put enough thought into, while simultaneously weeding out those less receptive to prostilization by the OP. The OP then would approach people in private messages to give the sales pitch and manipulate the gullible into accepting his position. There is a ton of evidence that he did in fact respond to any gullibility in private messages rather than out in the open. This is done so that no one can call him out, separate people from voices of reason so you can more easily control and manipulate them. I am very passionately against these actions. I'm acutely aware of when its happening thanks to my background.

These are the reasons why I suggest and support some basic common sense, social contract n stuff, (lol) with my peers here on A/N regarding how we approach things. It's not to stifle discussion or prevent more tin hat theories from being thrown around, its simply to remain honest, non manipulative, and objective. Tin hat people hate to be challenged at all, and I'm going to challenge them, I really have no choice in that because of my personal commitment to intellectual honesty and integrity. 

No need to opt out just yet John, I agree we form social contracts every day wherever we go. One could call them rules, though they aren't really anything formal. Just generally agreed upon standards to ensure everyone can get along and co exist. I'm sure the people here are reasonable and will understand what you're trying to say :)

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service