Hi there,

Been engaging in discussions with a friend who is a "conservative Evangelist" and was wondering what you guys think is the best question to ask that will get a Christian brain "thinking"...?

Thanks for ideas,

Linda

Views: 989

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good point! Science is based on natural laws that humans discovered; they didn't create the laws. Trial, experimentation, exploration, asking questions, doubting, testing all are factors in science. Everything can be replicated and revealed to be valid. 

With a human-made religion, the laws have to be handed down, orally or in written texts.  

I like you distinction. May I repost it? 

It's not original; but in any case please do repost it!

If his big issue is creationism, I'd propose this scenario:

Imagine that he met a space alien who asks were humans came from. This alien has been around a bit, spoken to a Hindu, an Aborigine, a Navajo, a Zulu etc. Each has told a different story. Now the Christian tells the Adam and Eve account.

The question is this. What evidence can he present that his story is the correct one?

This pushes the argument into another area. Christians are so accustomed to 'confirming' creation by attacking evolution, and their 'proofs' of creation can generally be applied to most creation stories, so they have a different problem altogether.

[This is one of the areas that I first started doubting. I realized that the magical tales that I believed were no different from the 'false' magical tales that others believed]

Why did Jesus zap the tree that didn't have fruit on it out of season?  Isn't that acting like a spoiled child?

Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves.  Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

The infancy Gospel shows Jesus being major league asshole.

http://gnosis.org/library/inftoma.htm

Here is an example: 

IV. 1 After that again he went through the village, and a child ran and dashed against his shoulder. And Jesus was provoked and said unto him: Thou shalt not finish thy course (lit. go all thy way). And immediately he fell down and died. But certain when they saw what was done said: Whence was this young child born, for that every word of his is an accomplished work? And the parents of him that was dead came unto Joseph, and blamed him, saying: Thou that hast such a child canst not dwell with us in the village: or do thou teach him to bless and not to curse: for he slayeth our children.

Jesus should have been killed on the spot. What a little fuck wad!

Here's one:

'Why are you against female clerics, when Christian mosaics from the 3rd century clearly show women officiating as Bishops?'

I suppose the question doesn't matter anyway - its all made-up nonsense wether women are allowed to be priests or not.

Linda, 

The basis of Christianity is the Bible. The Bible is a treasure trove of evidence for disproving the Bible. Debate him via email so that he can't weasel out.

The Bin has over 1500 contradictions and fundies think that the Bible is inerrant. Using the Bible present the contradictions.

The Skeptics Annotated Bible is excellent as are the Landover Baptist Bible Quizzes

Logic doesn't work on fundies. Ridicule does.

Actually logic can work, if it is carefully crafted.  Just ask Peter Boghossian.

You may wonder why atheists don't pray, in case there is a god.

Well: Why don't you Christians wear garlic necklaces in case of werewolves?

If suicide is a sin and Jesus pretty much committed suicide by cop, is that a sin? If it's a sin then he/it isn't perfect and therefore not god.

If it's not suicide by cop then he set himself up to be murdered and that goes against the biggest of the commandments. Therefore your god is a murderer.

Then again, he murdered himself, so he committed suicide. (return to line one)

Good one shed, I don't think any Christians I know could answer that one, though apologists always find an avenue to bs their way out of such questions.

I also like the old favorite.

God impregnated a virgin with himself to pretend to be a human so he could sacrifice himself to himself and pretend to forgive the sins that he created and allowed in the first place.

So, wouldn't it have been far less troublesome to simply forgive the sins?

I know my Christian friends absolutely hate that one, which is why they avoid mentioning their Christianity around me, as I used it when they used to question my atheism and haven't questioned my atheism since I put that question to them.  They now accept my atheism but struggle sometimes when I make subtle comments at funerals, I sometimes see a grimace on their faces as I invoke anger responses from other Christians at the services.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service