Christianity has always been fairly conspicuous among world religions for its obsession with its own end.  In fact, talking about the Christian "end times" (not the apocalypse), 2 Thessalonians even tells us how to bring about the Christian end times:

“Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day {the Christian "last times"} shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition. Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped {monotheism}; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

– 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4

If we think back to the mostly pagan time world in which that passage was written, around the first or second century, a "man who exalts himself above all that is called God" sounds like monotheism and the only clear candidate for such a man around that time is Jesus.  Jesus is the man who is worshiped in the temple as God above all the other gods of the ancient world and, indeed, he is the only man whose revelation as a "man of sin" would presumably cause a great "falling away" from Christianity and bring about the Christian "end times". 

"And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness."

– 2 Thessalonians 2:6-12

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interpreting religious texts isn't worth my time. The real world has plenty of challenges and actual facts.

While many Evangelical fundamentalists would cry and weep while pointing out the truth of your post, Matthew, they would believe it as a fulfilled prophesy. The only correct answer, of course, is that the scriptures talking about it are written after 70 AD. In hindsight Jesus is being made into what they want him to be.

This would seem to be the actual facts of most of the New Testament, and a great amount of that is credited to a Roman citizen, the "greatest apostle of all," who never even met Jesus. More and more it looks as if the entire myth was crafted in order to stop the Jews from fighting with the Romans.

No, you are wrong.  All of the Gospels must have been written after 75 AD when Josephus published "The Wars of the Jews".  See for example how the "last supper" in the NT is entirely based on the event described by Josephus where thousands of Jews starved to death in the "upper rooms" in the towers next to a statue of "a man holding a pitcher of water" which was prepared by the rebel leaders Simon and John, having all the exact same details as the New Testament version:

http://hyperpreterism.net/the-last-supper/

The Gospels story of the last supper is an ironic representation of a mass starvation event from the works of Josephus.  Christianity is about to come to an abrupt and brutal end.  These are last times for the Christians because Christianity is the "mystery of iniquity" and the "lie" which God sent to deceive the people, because they would not believe that the Romans were their Gods.

Wrong for saying that most of this was written after 70 AD? The only difference between our words and view of this is how it is taken today by most as compared to what many think it was then.

My view would point out what hypocrites the Christians really are while your view would be wanting them to change their entire ideology. They remain hypocritical to me regardless of what they believe in supernatural myth. There are no gods.

Well, you are right that 75 AD is after 70 AD.  But I think that is an important distinction because I claim to demonstrate that almost the entirety of the Gospels are derived from the works of Josephus, not just the events from the war in general, and are in fact ironic representations of passages from Josephus: i.e. it was a joke.  If I have proven this, as I claim, then it doesn't matter what ideology Christians have, because there will soon no longer be any Christians.  This is how Christianity ends.  Did you read the link I gave for the last supper?

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service