Brother Richard's speech: "Thank God America is a Secular Nation "

Hey everyone, first I want to thank you for you comments on this speech that was posted here: http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/meet-brother-richard. It was six years ago, and a lot has changed around Nexus since then.

Because it is so old, I thought it would be fun to post a more recent speech that presented at the Atheist Alliance of America’s 2013 National Convention. It is based on an argument I often use when speaking with Christians. It is a warning that they, above all others, should “Thank God America is a Secular Nation.” My time was limited, but I believe my argument is understandable. 

I am working on another project that is related to this talk, so I would really appreciate some feedback (especially from any of you historians).

Views: 1212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Years ago I was friends with all of them and we never looked at any of it critically in any way. These days I'd rather not talk with them.

I get that, Michael. There are far right people here that I won't reach. I leave them alone.

It’s my reading of history that everytime “conservatives” in the GOP and other parties with a large number of religious-right members oppose a secular governmental program, like Obamacare, that helps our citizens without the help of the church, the real reason is because it will make religion less relevant and closer to becoming extinct.

eric, guessing at the "real reasons" such people do things wastes important time and energy that can be better spent remedying the problem.

As an activist long ago told me, don't get upset; get even.

As far as I know...(I have friends who got Obamacare)...this needs to be changed; is too expensive and doesn't cover what is supposed to cover.

Anyway, I believe Obamacare, Planned Parenthood, abortion, education, illegal immigration...are all subjects used by the politicians to keep the masses entertained while the big boys "manufacture" their big business.

Yes, it is a smoke screen.

Biden and Obama both admit the ACA needs to be changed. The GOP wants to rip it in shreds, take out the rich man subsidies so the poor pay for most of it, claim you will have better coverage, then they think everyone will be happy. The strategy here is similar to buying Manhattan Island from the Indians for trinkets and beads.

A fundamental flaw of the Republican bill is that it will likely destabilize the already rocky individual market even further. The legislation leaves in place the core Obamacare regulations that are driving up the price of insurance, while repealing the individual mandate that is designed to force people to buy insurance anyway. Almost no one who is not directly employed by the Republican Party thinks this combination makes sense.

Rich Lowry: Republicans’ agony on health care is just beginning
The Salt Lake Tribune

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Slavery
19 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Imaginary Cat Owner's discussion Is there a problem with the chat section?
1 hour ago
Glen Rosenberg replied to Imaginary Cat Owner's discussion Is there a problem with the chat section?
1 hour ago
Dr. Ernest Williamson III posted a status
"Thank you all for welcoming me! It is not easy being an Agnostic while teaching in a Christian University; hopefully I can find a new job!"
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Grinning Cat's group Writing to Congress
1 hour ago
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Lilac commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
3 hours ago

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service