Recently, I was denied membership in a Facebook group because I expressed the idea that people of color can be racist. Honestly, I thought everyone agreed with that. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that all people of color are racist. But I believe any person, regardless of skin color, can be racist. What do you think?

Views: 642

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand and agree with the idea that white people, as a whole, have much more power in many instances. With that traditionally extra power comes the ability to act on any racist thoughts individuals may have. Obviously, there are tremendous examples of white people throughout history establishing systemic racism. Sadly, systemic racism is alive and kicking today. But I don't agree that people of color cannot be racist. If a black man refuses to hire white people because they are white, the black man is racist. Also, he is using his power as an employer to effectuate policies based on his racist beliefs. 

Sure, it is discrimination. And when race is the defining factor of exclusion u are justified in characterizing it as racism. And yet it is not the same as it is when it is oppressor v. oppressed. Think about the aftermath of any genocide. What if a jew refuses to hire a german in 1948? An Armenian refuses to hire a Turk in 1928? A Tutsi refuses to hire a Hutu right after their genocide...(even though they may be the same people.)  It is clearly not the same dynamic as German v Jew,  Turk v Armenian or Hutu v Tutsi. 

You see full-on racism is a byproduct of the exploitation of the subordinate "race" by the dominant one. Talk about the slings and arrows..those who are in the dominant tribe rarely have a full understanding or even a glimpse of just how bad it is...just how pervasive racism is...just how dehumanizing it is. Who among us under such circumstances will fail to harbor hatred against the oppressor? On the other hand if you are a member of the dominant group and you share the ideology of racism and act on it then fuck u and the horse ya rode in on...but leave the horse alone cuz horses iz ok 

By the way,, people of color.. is a ridiculous way to describe people. Do any people lack color? If blacks are colored are whites colorless?

It is as though white is the default.  The defectives have the scarlet letter skin and are colored to stand out as different. 

Yes, "people of color", or "colored people", is indeed ridiculous!  Also, I've never seen a white person or a black person.

I agree with you totally, Spud, but any person of any color can be a racist. Every day I meet people who are "racists unawares." They are too frigging dumb to know they are racist.

I agree.

I agree that the terminology is wrong, but it's what everyone uses. What would you suggest?

Jonathan, I, for one, was not trying to say you were wrong in your use of the terminology.  I would have to think about what I would suggest, but so far, Lilac's answer sounds good.

My grandma was an old lady, she emigrated to the US from Mexico. She was racist as fuck, she didn't even try to hide it.

Hope that answers your question.

There are people who twist and lie and engage in sophistry to come to the conclusion only white people can be racist. They have many other completely asinine ideas just like it. You're better off not joining their groups.

Anytime :)

Also racism is stupid. Race as far as I can tell doesn't exist to begin with. Humans are Humans. It's that simple.

It definitely should be that simple.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service