Recently, I was denied membership in a Facebook group because I expressed the idea that people of color can be racist. Honestly, I thought everyone agreed with that. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that all people of color are racist. But I believe any person, regardless of skin color, can be racist. What do you think?

Views: 642

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought you were just drunk.  Or high.  Or both.

hope that thaar ism wont lead to schism cuz in that ism lies the prism in which race is viewed...

my brain is drunk without liquor...a mind high and still quicker ..

I was about 6 years old when a black woman came to the farm for something and brought her son with her. In those days it was said that "blacks know their place," but this woman and her family were known to all my folks. My family went along with visiting but no in home socializing like parties or anything.

Her son and I remain outside and and we look closely at each other. I told him he was black. He told me I was white. We looked at our different arms for a moment and then we smiled and started playing just like kids normally do.

It takes a racist to make you a racist.

In a similar fashion it is culturally acceptable to mock Christians in America but not Muslims. Muslims are perceived as a vulnerable minority here, therefore, it is not permissible to openly mock Islam. Bill Maher makes jokes about all of the Abrahamic religions. He has been banned from speaking at Berkley, though specifically for mocking Islam. It is for reasons like this that I have shifted form Liberal to Independent / Libertarian.

>In a similar fashion it is culturally acceptable to mock Christians in America but not Muslims. 

Culturally acceptable?? I'm not at all sure that's true. It depends completely on whom you're talking to. The notion of some sort of uniform cultural board of approval assumes facts not in evidence.

You changed your political views because Berkeley did something stupid?

I have no clue what the difference might be between a "liberal" and an "independent/libertarian" since they're all bullshit lablels, but I hope you have more fun.

I can get away with making fun of Christians. If I do the same with Islam then it might be labeled as a hate crime by the SPLC. Indeed the SPLC has placed former Muslims, that now speak out against Islam, on their hate criminal list. It is a double standard.  That is why I am disgusted with the hypersensitive, sociopolitically correct, modern Liberalist movement. It is called regresive liberalism.

You want facts:

Maajid Nawaz was placed on the SPLC list because he drew a cartoon of the prophet Muhammad. Apparently the SPLC doesn't believe in free speech. Nawaz is a former extremist that now speaks out against it.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is another target of the SPLC. She is an Ethiopian born atheist that speaks out against Islamic practices such as child marriage and genital mutilation, yet she has been labeled an anti islamic extremist. She denounces all religions. moveon.org has a petition to get them removed from the list. These white men from Alabama think they have the right to judge such people who grew up in Islamic communities, then spoke out against it.

And those bullshit labels happen to be the same labels given to politicians running the government as the binary rebublican or democrat.

As a white man I can honestly say I have never known the time that I thought I had lost previledge of any kind due to people of another race. Certainly I''ve heard talk about it by others but I have never known it as a reality personally. Those who insist otherwise just might be racists unawares.

Generally speaking racist / hate groups blame other people for their own shortcomings.

As long as humans group think there will be group discrimination and racism. All groups do it, all groups claim ethical high ground and all groups are flat wrong to practice it in any form.  As long as one group holds discriminatory views, for any reason, they make it justifiable for all groups. If you want to end racism everyone needs to get over xenophobia that has been with us for all of human evolutionary history. 

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service