I think one of the things that we far too often overlook in this country is that fact that genital mutilation of newborn boys is common practice, if not standard. Why isn't there more of a cry against this? Do the benefits of circumcision (if any, and I don't see any valid argument that there are any) outweigh the cost and mutilation of a boy?

Of course circumcision isn't the only genital mutilation in the world, but it's the only type in practice in the United States. Female genital mutilation is just as barbaric, if not more so. Americans, and Europeans in general, ban female genital mutilation of babies, but why the hypocrisy in not doing the same for males?

Tags: Christianity, God, Judaism, circumcision, clitoral, covenant, genital, mutilation

Views: 2261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rob, Anthony, Eric (just in case) Monica has seen the validity of the excellent points that have been made here (in a previous response of hers), so it's really no use doing any further chastising now! Come now, group hug :)

Damn it, I tried to be nice but I failed, apparently.

Luckily people continued talking to each other, so I hope the air has been cleared somewhat.

@ Monica S. 

It was not my intention to be an ass, and if I read back my post I don't see how I came across as being aggressive. I am outspoken and my tongue can get me into trouble, yet in this specific case I thought that it would be best not to be too much of a dick in my response to you. 

I am done having to smile and applogize over and over 

Honestly, you are open to new information, willing to change your opinion and unafraid to speak your mind, what's there to apologize about? 

Apologizing for a lack of knowledge is just silly in my opinion, if I were to start doing that I will be apologizing forever.

Jewish groups outraged over an attempt to ban infant circumcision i...

{excerpt only, hit title for whole story}

INFANT circumcision could be halted if a San Francisco man succeeds in gaining enough support from voters to outlaw this barbaric practise. (See Why circumcision should be abhorred).

According to this report, self described “intactivist” Lloyd Schofield has been collecting signatures for a voter initiative that would criminalise the mutilation of baby boys, but Jewish groups have pledged to fight the measure should it be placed on a ballot.

After two months of campaigning, Schofield claims to be more than half way toward getting the 7,168 signatures he needs by late April to put the matter on the November ballot. (See his website here)

Schofield and a growing number of anti-circumcision activists say that infants should not be forced to participate in what is essentially culturally accepted genital mutilation.

[...]

Both pro- and anti-circumcision advocates make health claims, but the medical research does not firmly support either position.

The American Academy of Pediatrics holds that there are both benefits and risks to infant circumcision, and recommends that parents make the choice for themselves.

Several other health bodies are reviewing the evidence on circumcision with an eye to new policy recommendations. More than half of US male infants are circumcised, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

If the ban is approved, those caught cutting the foreskins of infants and other minors would face up to a year of jail time and up to $1,000 in fines.

The ban would certainly face legal challenges, and could be found in violation of the First Amendment right to Freedom of Religion.

Schofeld said that the issue is not one of cultural practice, but of individual freedom.

Schofeld's site

if any group has enough power to stop the legislation...its them...

This week my beloved John Stewart Daily Show had Bono as a guest. His foundation has raised a bazillion dollars to fight AIDS.

He concluded his interview with a circumcision promotion!!!!! ARRRGGGGHHHH!

The link provided is to a peer to peer page. USA readers/viewers should probably go to the show's real streaming web pages to watch the episode... Nov.30.

um

before people get to warm and fuzzy

i would suggest that you do the research....

raising a kazzillion dollars to fight AIDS, really means to perpetuate the disease...

us patent 5679677 thats the patented cure for AIDS..1996...

the doctor montpellier( the dude who FOUND HIV) has said that it doesnt cause aids...

hiv has never been isolated in any laboratory on planet earth...

etc etc etc

look into the bangui classification

watch the documentary " the house of numbers"

im just gonna start a thread lol

phuck it...

sorry to railroad.. but i have noticed an abundance of "alternative" lifestylers online, and think this may help a loved one a relative etc.

peace and progress

bono is working for someone...

that is why he plugged the medical procedure of circumcision...

I refer you to pages 1-39 :)

The financial cost of the procedure differs depending on location. Sometimes it is covered by public healthcare and sometimes it is not. The gross financial cost of a neonatal circumcision in the first world is usually hundreds of dollars. Circumcision in the USA is a billion-dollar-a-year industry.

However, I take from your use of inverted commas that you are not referring to financial cost but to the negative effects of the procedure. In this regard, the cost of circumcision is a loss of sensitivity, sensation and sexual function. The foreskin is removed and, with it, thousands of nerve-endings. The glans, a biologically internal organ, is permanently exposed leading to keratinisation of its surface. And the penile shaft skin is, depending on how much skin is removed, rendered largely or sometimes even wholly immobile. This affects the sex act for all parties involved, male and female.

The circumcision procedure causes trauma and pain to the baby and thusly affects the brain and mind. How this affects each individual is probably unique, but it is arguably one of the most damaging things to do to such a fragile and impressionable nervous system and psyche. The experiences we have as fetuses, infants, children and adolescents, affect us for life. And it is likely that the younger we are, the greater is the effect of a positive or negative experience.

How society is affected by generations of traumatised males is open to debate. There is a possibility that genital mutilation and other such barbaric child-rearing practices feed into a patriarchal culture that values aggression and war, and devalues emotions and sensitivity.

The additional cost of botched jobs is that many babies die and thus many parents lose their sons. Equally as bad, or perhaps worse, is that many males have their sex lives destroyed; botched jobs can damage the penis beyond repair: sever vital nerves, sever the penis, or leave the penis so horribly scarred or deformed as to seriously affect self-esteem.

All of this can be prevented and avoided by simply leaving the baby as he is born. We do this for girls and it is about time that boys were shown the same respect. If a male or female wants to have their genitals or any other body-part surgically altered for cosmetic or other reasons then they should be free to do so when they come of age. Such decisions should be left in the hands of the 'owner' of the body because they have to live with it.

I was ,"cut" when I was four years old.
they yanked my tonsils at the same time, so I was sore at both ends.

I have not yet forgiven my mom for having it done.
And I do not plan to do so

yep tonsil removal, another medical myth. Mine were yanked at age 7... to stop my cough! Needless to say, that didn't make a difference... Both my parents smoked 3 packs a day. yuk. Stupid doctors.

sigh

has anyone ever done the research and found the ANSWER to why circumcision even came into existence?

in my OPINION it is not barbaric to circumcise a male child...( vs circumcising a male adult...ouch )

i am not circumcised, and neither is my father...

not sure bout grand dad lol

now forget about ME and forget about YOU and lets analyse WHY circumcision came about...

in ancient texts it is said that the foreskin of some males would continue to grow, and or be too excessive, sometimes closing over itself...

to prevent this from occuring

circumcision became common place for the people of that REGION..

religious beliefs generally are based on SCIENTIFIC PHENOMENON that knuckledraggers observed and couldnt comprehend.

they didnt just spring out of nowhere...

thus discarding information just because its "religious" is juvenile.

the ancients had a saying:

science is visible spirituality

and spirituality is unseen science....

this schism between logic/science and spirituality is quite recent....

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service