Coalition of Churches File Brief in Utah and Oklahoma Gay Marriage Suit

I am unable to find a downloadable copy of the brief filed by a coalition of churches supporting the Utah and Oklahoma state bans on gay marriage.  (Does someone have a link?).  I saw an online copy of the brief a couple days ago but lost the link.  

Thanks

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I Googled the following - "coalition of churches" Utah "gay marriage" - and came up with this.  Close enough?

Gene,

Here's a link to the amicus (friend of the court) brief filed by the ACLU in favor of same sex marriage.

Here's the link to the amicus brief filed by the Family Research Council opposed to same sex marriage.

What did I ever do to them?  I'm beginning to think they don't like me.

Can I ask for a refund of my years of military service, during which I sacrificed freedom and dignity and a few years of my life?  And in the process, they benefited in the security of their freedom and privilege.  I think I want those years back now.

Daniel, what you did to them was exist. But, exist in a such a way that does not garner their approval. They want everyone run through a meat grinder, all come out the same, and all adhere to their vision of what it means to exist. You weren't run through that meat grinder, you don't conform, and yet you lead a better life than they do..

And, what royally pisses them off is that, unlike the chicken shits at the FRC, you did serve your country honorably, you do work and contribute to the community, and you are a law abiding citizen. Your life flies in the face of their dishonest and dishonorable narrative of what they tout as their version of a proper society.  You're different from them. And, you won't go away.

Make a deal. You don't ask for your military time back, and neither will I. However, when given the opportunity, we both throw it in their face to, as Henry V said, "hold their manhood cheap."

Pat, to be honest I liked being in the military.  But still, they benefit from the sacrifices of all soldiers, not just the straight ones, or the white ones, or the theist ones. 

Holding their manhood cheap is a laudable goal.  They are sissies and cowards.  

Amen, brother!

I am citing from the Amicus Brief filed February 10, 2014 by the churches listed below in the gay marriage ruling appeals for the states of Utah and Oklahoma.

Case Nos. 13-4178, 14-5003, 14-5006

States Court of appeals for the Tenth Circuit

Brief of Amici Curiae United States Conference of Catholic Bishops; National Association of Evangelicals; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention; and Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

HOW CAN THESE CHURCHES SAY THIS?

Our faith communities bear no ill will toward same-sex couples, but rather have marriage-affirming religious beliefs that merge with both practical experience and sociological fact to convince us that retaining the husband-wife marriage definition is essential.”

Our faiths also teach love and respect for all people. To suggest that our support for traditional marriage is based on hostility is false. That support predates by centuries the controversy over same-sex marriage and has nothing to do with disapproval of any group.

THESE CHURCHES SHOULD BE MADE TO PROVE WITH POSITIVE CERTAINTY THAT THERE IS A GOD BEFORE THEY CAN MAKE CLAIMS IN A COURT OF LAW.

“Our respective religious doctrines hold that marriage between a man and a woman is sanctioned by God as the right and best setting for bearing and raising children.”

The churches are running scared for they know if gay marriage becomes the law of the land their history of villainizing gays will further erode their credibility as THE institution of god on earth.

Gene,

They should spend their time and effort helping poor folks, or giving help to the homeless, or ill.  They are so unlike the jesus who they claim to follow.

Thanks for posting the info.  I appreciate the information.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service