Matthew 25:34-40

"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,[a] you did it to me."

What Trump wants.....

* Eliminates the $200 million McGovern-Dole International Food for Education program

* Cuts Women, Infants and Children nutrition assistance from $6.4 billion to $6.2 billion

* Eliminates the Economic Development Administration, which gives out grants in struggling communities
* Cuts $3.7 billion in grants for teacher training, after-school and summer programs, and aid programs to first-generation and low-income students
* Decreases funding for the National Institutes of Health and certain programs to train health professionals
* Eliminates the Fogarty International Center, which builds partnerships between U.S. and foreign health research institutions
* Cuts $667 million from grant programs to state and local agencies, including pre-disaster mitigation grants

* Cuts $95 million from the Rural Business and Cooperative Service

* Eliminates the $3 billion Community Development Block Grant program

* Eliminates the HOME Investment Partnerships Program, the Choice Neighborhoods program and the Self-help Homeownership Opportunity Program

* Eliminates the $35 million of funding for Section 4 Community Development and Affordable Housing

* Eliminates the Senior Community Service Employment Program, which helps low-income seniors find work

* Closes poor-performing centers for Job Corps, a job-training program for disadvantaged youth

* Eliminates grants that help nonprofit groups and public agencies pay for safety and health training

* Reduces funding for U.N. peacekeeping
* Reduces most cultural-exchange programs, but keeps the Fulbright Program
* Eliminates grants for Community Development Financial Institutions, which provide financial services in economically distressed neighborhoods

Meanwhile.......

* Increases the size of the Army and Marine Corps

* Increases the number of ships in the Navy's fleet

* Buys F-35 Joint Strike Fighters more rapidly

* Increases spending to keep Air Force combat planes ready to fly

Where does this Christian Matthew 25:34-40 ideology fit in?

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thomas, it's not confusing once you notice they are total hypocrites.

...I just don't understand how Christians can reason themselves around this obvious contradiction. The more I try to put together their possible reasons, the more insane their reasons are....it gives me a headache....

Exactly! They'll support anything that conforms to their real core values, the de facto motto of the modern Republican Party: "I've got mine, screw you."

Neil Buchanan wrote eloquently on "the phony 'freedoms' Republicans promise".

I am just a guy who got his first college degree from a Christian college and I took 5 of its religion classes while there. I still have my papers from those classes. It also took me reading the Bible two more times after my time at that college.

Now all I have to say are quotes from fellow Christian college graduates:

The Bible is laden with contradictions that can be reconciled only by contorted logic, improbable conjecture, and leaps of faith. - Dr. Valerie Tarico

Now that I’m not a Christian in any sense, I see that my religious past, especially my fundamentalist past, was oppressive and harmful. - Dr. Bart Ehrman

Thanks Gary,

Dr. Valerie Tarico and Dr. Bart Ehrman have some interesting books to read. Have you any other suggestions for reading?

Here are a few I have enjoyed that were edited by John Loftus:
Christianity in the Light of Science: Critically Examining the World's Largest Religion
The End of Christianity
The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails
Christianity Is Not Great: How Faith Fails

Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith by Charles Templeton
Godless by Dan Barker

I didn't know Templeton rejected the christian faith. My goodness, he was a stalwart evangelical when I was too. 

That book of his was my first read on my path to atheism. I couldn't put it down while reading it.

What does Mathew have to do with Trump?

Stay tuned for his impeachment. 

....Right.....

It's all like a couple of years ago when Christian right wing people told me that "Jesus wouldn't like all of the handouts." Apparently these go to church every time the doors open people have studied a different Jesus than I did. The answer is in the fact that they have been politically indoctrinated in the same way they have been religiously indoctrinated, except that both of them did not happen at the same time.

Classic cognitive dissonance at its best.

The notion that diverting money from human services to fund military buildup helps the poor, disabled, young, old, homeless, international food programs, economic development, and training programs, is just so much B.S. 

Trump knows it, and so do the 1%. These people who make a living using "unearned income" by paying proportionately low wages to wage workers want you and me to believe their gibberish. 

Money does not trickle down! It is just that simple! Low wages negatively impacts the working person while benefiting those who exploit workers. 

There is no reason to feel "confuzzled."It is a fact of life! If individuals who work for a living remain quiet, then wages remain stagnant.  If people who work for a living joined in the protest, the wages would go up. 

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service