In the spirit of leaving this wide open, I will try to be brief.

What have you heard about it?

From what sources have you learned about it?

Views: 264

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All anyone needs to know is that it's been on the fundies' hit list for decades. We teach kids what to think, not how to think. I don't think H.P. Lovecraft could ever be improved upon in this regard:

That is a very good quote there by Lovecraft.  Along the same lines, how often do we hear from Christians "Of course every now and then I have my doubts, just like anyone else."  That always strikes me as weird, if this thing is TRUE it will shine with an undeniable glare.  Smells more like wishful thinking, and of course societal conditioning.

Bertold,

Thank you for the introduction to H. P. Lovecraft.....I looked him up on the WWW and he has some other good quotes.

" Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity."

H. P. Lovecraft

Thank-you. 

Critical thinking makes God go away.

I have no college education to speak of. I am not any kind of genius. I am no smarter than anyone else. I simply ask "why".

College, it turns out, is not a symbol of an educated person. True education comes from a person thinking,  "why."

...absolutely , Joan.... because

"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library."

Frank Zappa

YES!

Zappa's plan would have failed at the Univ of Fla in the early 1950s, when each female could choose from four males. In 1946 it had been an all-male school.

Fla State Univ had been all female and for a while the UF footballers refused to play the FSU footballers. The first year they played each other, the ex-girls school team won.

I did some grad study at FSU and with favorable odds met the woman I later married.

In Alaska the female-to-male ratio is higher than average as well. I once was told the females up there have a saying: The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

I am repeating part of Bertold's poem of Livecraft, please forgive me. 

"We all know that any emotional bias -- irrespective of truth or falsity -- can be implanted by suggestion in the emotions of the young, hence the inherited traditions of an orthodox community are absolutely without evidential value.... If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences. With such an honest and inflexible openness to evidence, they could not fail to receive any real truth which might be manifesting itself around them. The fact that religionists do not follow this honourable course, but cheat at their game by invoking juvenile quasi-hypnosis, is enough to destroy their pretensions in my eyes even if their absurdity were not manifest in every other direction.”

H.P. Lovecraft, Against Religion: The Atheist Writings of H.P. Lovecraft

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service