We can have hope for Americans, says this from NCSE.COM

House Resolution 83, introduced in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives on February 26, 2015, would, if enacted, express the House's recognition of February 12, 2015, as Darwin Day.

The resolution acknowledges the 206th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth, honors his discovery of natural selection, and the theory's role as "the foundation for ongoing advances in science, health,
philosophy, art, education, and many other areas of modern life." It also celebrates Darwin's "strength of character" and the "great courage, wisdom and honesty required to explore and publish" his work on evolution, and deems his birthday "an appropriate day on which to celebrate and to reflect and act on the principles of intellectual bravery, perpetual curiosity, and the hunger for truth, which contribute to the well-being of all people." [emphasis added]

Like H. Res. 67 and S. Res. 66, the Darwin Day resolutions in Congress, and like Arizona's HR 2002, the resolution in Pennsylvania covers only 2015. There are 19 sponsors of the bill; Brian Sims (D-District 182) and Mark B. Cohen (D-District 202) appear to have taken the lead.

For information about Pennsylvania's House Resolution 83, visit:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=201...

For information about the resolutions in Congress and Arizona, visit:
http://ncse.com/news/2015/02/darwin-day-resolution-congress-0016165
http://ncse.com/news/2015/02/darwin-day-resolution-senate-0016176
http://ncse.com/news/2015/02/darwin-day-resolution-arizona-0016180

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm all for it. This may counter some of the absurd theist claims that are being enacted in various areas and remind them that "their view is not the only view." I deem this as important.

Yes! It clearly acknowledges evolution as valid and science as important.

Here's the text:

WHEREAS, Charles Darwin's theory of evolution by the mechanism of natural selection, together with the monumental amount of scientific evidence he compiled to support it, provides humanity with a logical and intellectually compelling explanation for the diversity of life on Earth; and

WHEREAS, Modern understanding of the science of genetics strongly supports the validity of Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection; and

WHEREAS, Human curiosity and ingenuity exemplified by Darwin have led to scientific discoveries that have helped humanity solve many problems and improve living conditions throughout history; and

WHEREAS, Charles Darwin's work is symbolic of the scientific advancement on which to build a global celebration of science and humanity intended to promote a common bond among all of Earth's peoples; and

WHEREAS, February 12 is the anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin in 1809; therefore be it

RESOLVED, That the House of Representatives designate February 12, 2015, as "Darwin Day" in Pennsylvania.

(Designating just the one day in 2015 rather than February 12 of every year seems to be their standard practice; they do that for other resolutions as well.)

wow, and in my own state no less!  consider me thrilled!!  too bad it probably won't pass.  

My only question is this. Since Darwin's birthday is February 12th, why did they wait till February 26th to introduce the resolution?

They waited until February 25 to pass a few other resolutions designating February 2015 for other things, as well. Maybe such honorary resolutions are always brought up towards the end of the month?

I'm in Pennsylvania as well, Matthew, and am glad this was introduced! (Our state's been aptly described as "Pennsyltucky" or as "Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, and Alabama in the middle.")

I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised that five of the 19 sponsors are Republicans. I hope it makes it out of committee and passes.

Speaking of which...

6% OF SCIENTISTS ARE REPUBLICAN. Scientists have no explanation for why that number is so high.My question (analogous to Pat's about why the resolution was introduced well after Darwin's birthday): why does it specify only February 12, 2015 and not February 12 of every year?

Maybe it's a way to make it less threatening to anti-science folks? If so, it's a baby step that might at least put acknowledgement of evolution and science into the state's legislative record.

Looks like the one-time rather than annual designations are standard procedure. I looked at the previous day's session report for the Pa. House; they passed several "non­contro­versial resolutions" recognizing other days, weeks, and months. In every case it was just for that one day, week, or month in 2015.

The Darwin Day resolution was originally introduced as a "noncontroversial resolution", but evidently someone objected. (That and the referral to the Rules committee are the only differences between the original printing and the "corrective reprint". The resolution text is identical.) Those other resolutions weren't referred to committee, and passed unanimously within days.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service