David Silverman – Fighting God & Firebrand Atheism

I love David Silverman. Why? Because he has the brass cojones to call a spade a spade, he doesn't soften his approach and he doesn't back down.  Recently, in Zurich, Switzerland, David gave a talk on firebrand atheism which relates to his new book, Fighting God.  In it, he talks about the fact that we as atheists need to be BOLD, we need to stop using euphemisms and talking around the subject and confront the issues of theism versus atheism head-on.  We need to grasp and own the facts, know that we have them and THEY DON'T.  This doesn't mean being a dick or being abusive, but owning the facts and using them to our advantage.

This is the message that has to get through to atheists in the US right now. We owe it to ourselves to be loud and proud about our atheism, so that people know that There Is NOTHING Wrong With Atheism ... because there isn't, yet there is PLENTY wrong with religion.

Break it down, David!

Views: 1103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The second profit of mormonism said something similar. He said "Pray as if it all depended on god, and work as if it all depended on you."

Rather revealing, no?  Merde, alors!

Loren, something that does not exist...... I'm gonna write that down and commit it memory!! Bumper stickers, signs, banners? That sums up our rational thought and gives a definitive reason why.  Way to go! Short, simple, to the point.

I'd like to get connected with groups like the freedom from religion foundation. I don't simply want to give money (of which I have almost none to give anyway), I'd like to be active in assisting. I'm not afraid of public speaking though I'm sure there are many far better suited for it, regardless I have technical expertise and the ability to help regardless of the role.

Not sure how I could do that however.

I know the site well, I re

Peer pressure is every where, especially in schools and most family dynamics.

I will look into being able to help. Thank you

BenGee, I misunderstood you, I thought you were trying to get in touch with FFRF. 

You might shoot brother richard an e-mail. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

You think he'd have time to talk to me? 

It's ok, even if I found someone that I could help, unless they offered me a paying position so I can free myself from over 30 years of religious abuse that I can't seem to escape, there's really little I could do. Even trying to start a local thing, that's a 1 hour drive to the nearest local school I could participate in (the one I work at is a elementary school that is very small, I wouldn't impose anything on them that young, and well the locals would come out with fire and pitchforks if I ever mentioned the A word where they could hear) . Doing anything locally would be suicide as I would end up homeless or dead the moment the mountain community found out. This isn't the sort of place I could be safe, my drunk religious dad might show up guns blazing (that's not an exaggeration, he has already shot at me more than once for far smaller offenses, and once just cause, guess I'm lucky booze makes for poor accuracy).

I'd need to plug in somewhere I could get away from here, my family suspects or know's at this point so its very tense at the moment. Mostly its just ignored as a topic finally, my neighbors and customers still harass me every single day but whatever.

I didn't believe in Hell but it sounds like you live in it................repent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did something similar last Xmas. After I put five dollars in the salvation army pot the lady said god bless you. I replied that I dont believe in god. I'm an atheist. But not believing in god didn't mean that I wasn't a kind person who was willing to help others.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service