Apparently you can't do polls on here.... but

Do any of you think that Jesus actually existed? What do category do you fall into?

A. Believed he existed, claims are false

B. Believed he existed, claims are exaggerated

C. Don't believe he existed

D. Believe he existed, claims are true (sorry had to leave the idiot category open)

Views: 6642

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's pretty much zero evidence that the stories around Jesus were influenced by either of those three.

If you're looking for a religion that had a chance of influencing Christianity, and actually has demonstrable parallels with Jesus, have you considered... Judaism?

Yes, the fabricators of the gospels, indeed plagiarized Joshua of the Judaism but with Hellenistic (Greek) gods and semi-gods "facets" for Jesus pretending to fulfill the "prophecies" of the Jewish bible, then placing the fabricated Jesus in the "Roman" times adding the crappy Greek "Christ" as a Jewish "Messiah".

So, if  you deny it, it just shows that you were suckered into Christianity. Big deal.

That's a nice set of bluster with no academic support, and with zero evidence to show for it.

There's zero evidence that Jesus is based on the stories surrounding Horus, Osiris or Mithras. Period. Bring some evidence (not empty bluster) if you want to prove otherwise.

Use common sense, man.

Christian "academics" are such in a deep "scholastic" shit they cannot take their head our of their asses and look around.

Especially Christian "academics" don't look for evidence around but only in the bible and in their biased heads and, like you,they  are blind to see other cultures but Judaism from where they plagiarized Joshua and fabricated a "super-powered" Jesus or God version 2.

Thank you, Leon.  I'm so fed up with Vacation Buybull School Matt (another Matt troll?) that I'm going to click the "Stop Following" link at the top of this page.

"Jesus" is/was/will ever be a figment of a sick mind, and nothing more.

@Leon

Yes, that's why you shouldn't listen to Christian academics. Listen to secular ones (Vermes, Frederiksen, Casey) instead: they're the top in the field anyway.

And guess what: none of them take your (vague) statements seriously. Are they also brainwashed or could it be that you don't know what you're talking about?

Secular? The background of Paula Frederiksen suggests that she is a Christian. Geza Vermes served as a Catholic priest in his youth. Am I correct or have I pulled up the wrong people here?

Paula Frederiksen is Jewish.

Geza Vermes is also Jewish (though his family indeed converted to Christianity just before the Second World War - not sure you want to press that point too much).

Maurice Casey is an atheist.

Bart Ehrman is also an atheist.

Joseph Hoffman is also an atheist.

They are all top scholars in their fields; Casey, Vermes and Frederiksen arguably the very top.

All of them have made a career out of analysing the origins of Christianity, and they all defend a view and position on Jesus that most Christians find deeply offensive.

Yet none of them have much time for the idea that Jesus did not exist, or for the Egyptian-Dionysus parallels being peddled in this thread. Why do you think that might be?

Casey - He entered Durham University, completing his undergraduate degree in theology. Casey stated that he had not held any religious beliefs since, but he's still a Christian. He is an atheist in the sense that he does not believe the claims of other religions but Christianity. He tries to make a Jesus Christ credible but doesn't make academic researches on other religions because he considers other religions as myths. He's biased Christian, deep up to his neck in biblical studies only.

Geza Vermes - A Jew who served as Catholic priest, an "atheist" because the questioning the basis of Christian teachings on Jesus while he believes his own Yahweh. Yea, an "atheist", my ass.

Bart Ehrman - He questions, and denies biblical claims as being true, and yes, he supports all that by academic and scholarly researches. Why do you mention him? He shows that the Bible is false, he's "washing" his view with vague "Jesus maybe existed" just to keep his job.

Paula Frederiksen - Educated in Theology, up to her neck into Christ and Christian writing crap, no way to admit that Christ is copied from other religions.

I can give hundreds of names of atheists scholars who studied Theology and concluding that Jesus Christ is a plagiarized Judaic, Hellenistic, Roman god and semi-gods and other religions "supernatural" character. You gave only the name of bogus atheists.

Aaaand here we go. Now we're down to defaming people's reputation in the hopes that that will miraculously get you a better point.

By the way: this kind of digging into people's history for the slightest hint of religiosity, is frankly embarassing. Are we back in the McCarthy trials or something?

Casey stated that he had not held any religious beliefs since, but he's still a Christian.

Nonsense. Casey stated that he hasn't held any religious beliefs since 1962. Period.

Geza Vermes - A Jew who served as Catholic priest

Yes, his family became Catholic to escape anti-semitism, and Vermes stayed catholic for a few years before he dropped it and returned to his Jewish roots.

He's Jewish and his books clearly depart from Christianity. So what's your problem?

Yea, an "atheist", my ass.

Never claimed Vermes is an atheist. Try to read before you go all Salem Witch trial on people.

[Bart Ehrman] Why do you mention him? He shows that the Bible is false

I mention him because he's an atheist who shows that the Bible is false, yet at the same time doesn't hold to the ideas you're trying to peddle, because they're without any evidence and don't stand up to scrutiny.

he's "washing" his view with vague "Jesus maybe existed" just to keep his job.

Yeah yeah and he's not denying the moon landing because he's scared of the CIA. Get a grip.

Paula Frederiksen - Educated in Theology, up to her neck into Christ and Christian writing crap, no way to admit that Christ is copied from other religions.

But not up to her neck enough to hold other beliefs that completely contradict Christianity? You think that she can totally undercut Christianity but somehow holding to your beliefs would be too much for her?

Your whole post so far has been an absolutely pathetic attempt at character assassination. Very rational and free-thinking of you :)

I can give hundreds of names of atheists scholars who studied Theology and concluding that Jesus Christ is a plagiarized Judaic, Hellenistic, Roman god and semi-gods and other religions "supernatural" character.

First off: no you can't.

But go ahead: give me just five academic scholars (that's people who actually work in the field, not just have a random degree related to it) who believe as you do. Good luck.

Matt VDB. These people you mention are hardly secular and I would have to read or hear for a fact that they are atheist. How would I defame a reputation by claiming somebody is NOT atheist? What part of McCarthyism would we have to pull off here to guarantee that they never work again? How is it that we are assassinating the character of any of these people? They have about the same credentials as William Lane Craig in my opinion. Frederiksen used to be Catholic before she became Jewish.

Try Finkelstein and Silberman for biblical archeaology. As for academic scholars most of them are believers.

These people you mention are hardly secular and I would have to read or hear for a fact that they are atheist.

I don't take secular to mean only atheists... if that's how you define your terms, that's pretty weird. Secular in this context meant no allegiance to Christianity and no particular religious motivation; this also includes largely nominal Jews like Vermes and Frederiksen.

But if you're counting only atheists, that still leaves Ehrman, Casey, Hoffman and quite some others.

They have about the same credentials as William Lane Craig in my opinion. Frederiksen used to be Catholic before she became Jewish.

Errr yeah this is where your weird McCarthyism kicks in. You're saying that if people were Catholic at any point in their life, they're not credible sources anymore? They're on the level of WLC even though he's a devout and professed Christian and they are not? Seriously?

Should we disown every atheist who was a Christian at some point? What's relevant is what they believe now, or when they were doing their research.

Try Finkelstein and Silberman for biblical archeaology.

They don't believe any of the Osiris Horus nonsense that Leon was trying to peddle, so, fail.

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service