Apparently you can't do polls on here.... but

Do any of you think that Jesus actually existed? What do category do you fall into?

A. Believed he existed, claims are false

B. Believed he existed, claims are exaggerated

C. Don't believe he existed

D. Believe he existed, claims are true (sorry had to leave the idiot category open)

Views: 4767

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL Tom.

Yes, if Jesus was in it, it would be known as the Jesus Tomb.

I think Jesus was tossed into a mass grave and his followers were too lazy to dig his body out from among all the others.

Christians are a bit soft and squeamish!

E.  I don't know and don't care.   If he did exist, he was not god, and did not perform any miracles.

However, my main reason for posting is to see if anyone besides me would like to see a poll feature added to this site.  I asked Richard Haynes about it once and never received a response.

I was on a site that had polls, and I loved it.  You could make your poll either so it revealed who the respondents were, or make it so they were anonymous.  I thought the anonymous polls were the best, because they got more responses, and I think they were more honest.

The talpiot people are OK.  I even donated a few shekels to 'em.  That's something the way the Israeli antiquities licensing people reacted to the whole thing.  As soon as it became apparent that JC himself and fam were labeled on ossuaries -SHUT-IT-DOWN!

They got a couple zillion tons of crete on it now, and they'll probably build a friggin monastery on top of that. But the truth leaked out, that's for sure; for a few moments in time, the truth leaked out!  

Interesting turn of phrase for an atheist.  

Here's one, "If you think humans have souls, are you really am atheist?"

There are no requirements, limitations or restrictions on what you can or can't believe and still be an atheist except you have to not believe gods exist. You can believe in astrology, alchemy, magic, unicorns, leprechauns, satyrs, four-sided triangles, demons, spirits, the easter bunny, a flat earth, souls, and diamonds on the soles of your shoes, etc. ad infinitum, and still be an atheist. There is no fundamentalist wing of atheism. I happen to be an atheist who believes in pantheism. Yes, I know there's a linguistic contradiction there, but get over it.

Gee, Bertold, I'm into pantheism too. I pan every religion and every deity.

Ain't English fun?

The funnest! Someone pointed out that if you take the "gh" as in "laugh," "o" as in "women," and "ti" as in "information," "fish" could be spelled goti.

Really?  I realize that a verbatim definition of atheist could be, "no religion" but most know it to mean "no god.  As I often phrase it, "An agnostic thinks that god might not exist while an atheist knows it doesn't."  Having said that, don't you agree that those who worship Satan and those who worship gods are just different teams playing the same game?  

I'm an atheist, I don't believe anything without scientific proof.  Either I know or I don't know, and I don't know where the human soul is.  I know where the muscles, tendons and organs are to name a few, but I wouldn't begin to know where to look for the soul.  Yes, now-and-then there's phenomena that science can't completely explain but c'mon folks, let's not toss the baby with its bath water.  

I recently saw an interview with Carlos Santana saying, "When the music picks you up and takes you away, it's the Holy Ghost at work."  Notwithstanding my respect for his music, I think Carlos is grabbing the first available solution to a common quandary.  I've never known Catholicism's favorite spectre but I've sure had music take me away.  I used to describe a "Grateful Dead instant" as, "You didn't know you went anywhere until you got back."  The way I see it Carlos, that Holy Ghost sure spent a lot of time at Dead shows, and maybe it should try - "Soul Music."

I once read a paper where ESP was explained as either a product of "simultaneous inspiration" or (and?), a simple act of wireless communication.  The human body has ground (common), antenna, and electrical operating frequency, the same as a CB or any transceiver might have.  The author (an atheist no doubt) claimed that some people have harmonic frequencies with others, causing thought waves to transfer or transmit to one another.  He concluded with a correlation between primitive instincts and an evolutionary ascendence to non-verbal communication.  In other words: ESP signals the coming of Zarathustra's superman! (Nietzsche)

All I'm saying is, if you're an atheist through scientific conclusion, a/or intellectual analysis, you discount so-called, proof of the existence of the human soul as, unsubstantiated, unproven allegations of an unknown factor, not yet identified; nothing more!   If you're not,and you don't, you might be ready for Mormon Missionary Discussions!      

If one is a logical positivist, one probably has to be an atheist, but I don't think being an atheist means one has to be a logical positivist.

An atheist does not acknowledge any gods, whether they exist or not.  A-theist.  Same as non-believer, only easier to say.  I don't know for sure that there is no supernatural being who had something to do with the existence of the universe(s),  but I think it's Highly unlikely.

Or...a person who prays to a god is a theist; a person who hears an answer is schizophrenic.

"A" in "atheist" is a privative prefix. Latins used very short words, they had to write them in stone... you know, very hard work. So, form short words and very short definitions, the later generations that invented the writing on paper and computers, can interpret the shit they want out of very short abbreviated Latin word. Why's "abbreviate" such a long word?

So, you call yourself an atheists? Interesting, tell me more about how you do this to tragic events that aren't just in America :)

"Shit happens." 

I've lived through traffic accidents, horrendous earthquakes, almost-drownings (twice)....and none of it was anyone's fault.  They all just happened.  And I got over them.

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service