Do You Get Enraged When Someone Does Not Take Off Their Hat Poll

(hopefully a harmless distraction from the more serious stuff – so if you are always serious don’t read any further)

I had a student who wore a baseball cap to all my classes.  At first I had an emotional response – who does this guy think he is wearing a baseball cap in my class.  Then I got used to it and realized – it does not matter if he wears a cap or not.  As long as he does the work and acts civilly in class - who cares?

Next thing you know I was a convert.  So much so that I wore a hat and got tossed out of a dinner party.  My experience is that most people ignore you when you do not remove your hat at a hockey game when the national anthem is being played.  But, a few get downright venomous.

Is there some evolutionary advantage of requiring a hat to be removed at certain times or in some venues?

After visiting Hair Club for Men a few years ago and realizing it was way too expensive to buy a new wig every few months and getting locked into an expensive styling plan even more frequently, I decided to go with the immensely cheaper option of wearing stylish hats for my bald spot.

Nobody expects someone to remove their wig when the national anthem is being played – so why should they have to remove their hat which is being used for the same purpose.  Removal of a hat for the anthem can be done by the most morally depraved person who has no respect at all for his countries laws.  What is wrong with me substituting hat removal with my hand over my heart instead?

What is wrong with me wearing my hat at dinner?

I suspect the majority of people get enraged with people not removing their hat. I am curious as to what a group of freethinkers will say.

Views: 3151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wear the hat..I do.

Men used to wear tall hats to keep the hyenas away...we've killed all the hyenas so...no need.

It was my first day back at work after a year sabbatical. I wore my hat at all the meetings and expected to hear a few disparaging remarks or get a few odd looks since I was the only one in a hundred people at a departmental meeting to be sporting headgear. 

Not sure how the chairs, deans or college president viewed it but one admin lady said she liked my hat.  Maybe I will go a whole semester with my cheaper version of a wig. 

Finally got my fascination with peoples disgust at my hat wearing behavior in a national paper. I linked it with a Muslim woman's requirement to wear a hijab.

Re: My hijab is my fashion statement, Aug. 18

Enraged?  No.  I save enragement for people harming animals or small children, pouring crap down the storm-drain...you get the idea.

Do I come to certain assumptions about the person?  Certainly.  I assume all sorts of uncomplimentary things about them, their parents or guardians and how they were raised.  I will also assume they've never been in the military or any paramilitary organization such as many police and fire departments or even a bagpipe band.  Would I ever voice that to the person?  No, certainly not.  Will I mention it to my spouse when we leave wherever we spotted that person with much sarcastic commentary and accompanying hand-gestures, possibly to be followed by interpretive dance when we get home?  Yes, I certainly will.  Will I also assume that that person is bald and discomfited by it?  Yes, yes, I will.

If you're looking for logic in the application of manners, you're barking up the wrong tree.  Would you like to sit next to me at a dinner party where I plant my face in my plate (using a fork is slow and dirties up a utensil unnecessarily), chew with my mouth open (Hey!  It's natural!), wipe my runny nose on my sleeve, and spit out any unchewable detritus onto the floor?  No?  Why not?  It's just manners, after all.

Or, to put it another way, if you came to my home and sat at my table with your hat on, I would never be rude to a guest.  You'd also never be invited back.  Problem solved for both of us.

So if you have a problem with people hurting small children, does this entail that you know that circumcision should not exist? Yes it is off topic but...

I wrote the Sunday letter (up a couple of remarks) as a subtle way to express my outrage at how a society could force a woman to wear a hijab. I saw a video of Iranian Revolutionary Guards screaming at a woman and then hitting her for not wearing a hijab.  Their righteous indignation and the anger people get over here regarding hat wearing behavior is a mystery to me. 

If I donate to veteran causes and support them with my time and choose to honor them by bowing my head instead of removing my hat - how ridiculous is it to get uptight over that.

It is fascinating that ShroudedAtheist equates the wearing of a hat with spitting unchewable detritus on the floor. I guess he would bristle at the thought of George Carlin as a houseguest.

Here Mr. Carlin rails against the inanity of people getting caught up with rules about hats. (Not included here is his rant about removing a hat for honoring the military. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNkkko4vlBs

When I see a guy over 30 wearing a hat in a setting where most men would remove them, I just assume he is both vain, and bald.  I like bald men and how they look.  I don't like vain men, they always hog the mirror! ;-)

Dogly, if you really don't like me now because I am vain, then the following applies. If that was just a joke and I am being thick - then ignore this reply.

Sounds like emotional reasoning to me. It bothers you when I don't take off my hat.  But, you don't have a good argument to make about the necessity for the removal of hats in certain social situations.  So you make a generalization about something else.  Just like in Muslim societies where a female not wearing the hijab may garner remarks about her sexual morals.

You don't know me.  If I am tagged by my friends as being vain, they need to see a lot more of that irritating behavior before coming to that conclusion. I can't look at someone wearing a hat, wearing a certain style of outfit to mask being overweight, putting makeup over a scar, not wearing a hajib etc. and make a sweeping conclusion about a major component of their entire character.

For the record, lately I don't care as much about my bald spot.  But still agree with George about the ridiculousness of the hat police and will continue to ignore them.

It was meant jokingly.  Wearing a hat or not is unimportant.  I think women care far less about how hirsute a fellow is than men think we do.  We do like a confident man, and one that will give us a chance at the mirror!  George Carlin was a treasure.  He had wit, humor, wisdom, and character.  I miss him.  Leave your hat on Sir, it's just fine with me.
;-) 

Funny clip of Carlin.  His railing also makes sense to me.  There are so many arbitrary rules in society that need to be ridiculed.

I was raised Jewish and my Hebrew school teachers taught us that boys and men are supposed to keep our heads covered at all times so I wonder whether people at sports events would make an exception for religious headgear? I also remember hearing in Hebrew school one time that there is something good about being a myrter... but my dad was raised "reformed"' so he never went around with a yarmulkas or any kind of Fur hatt or black top-hat some Hasidic men have to wear, so i went around with a baseball hat on only some of the time, depending on has guilty I was feeling regarding whether to do everything I was taught or only what my parents did... I always had the impression that the kids in school who went around with baseball hats on were like rebels or "bad", and wearing a baseball hat backwards made you more "bad" than wearing the cap with the brim facing forward, and I never understood why some kids would bend the brim with their hands or why some people will not remove the sticker with the size of the cap...

Maybe humans have genes which make us want everybody around us to think and act and dress very similarly to us, sort of like how big mammals have to run around in heard sand most animals go around in groups and plants grow in groups with others same kinds of plants...

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service