I am leaning towards cremation because I don't even like visiting cemeteries (not because I fear death, I just have no interest in seeing a loved one's grave). Plus, what laws will be changed in a few hundred years when we are running out of room on this earth. Will I be dug up and thrown into a pile?  I really need to get my act together and get going on my will. 

What are your plans for your deceased body?

Views: 1664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a nice little heap of ashes sitting in the silk lined casket.  What an image.

I don't think I'd want my ashes on display in an urn...but I know someone who has their deceased pets ashes in an urn in their living room.... I still don't know exactly how I feel about that.  Personally, I'd rather have my ashes scattered or encased in something. And, as for my 2 pets, I don't think I'll be cremating them or putting them in one of those 'pet cemeteries'....but I might feel differently when the sad day comes!

My parents still visit their parents' grave sites and 'keep them tidy'.... it is a kind of obligation that they feel, I suppose.  I don't think I really need a gravesite...maybe just a little plaque or brick would be nice. 

My late husband has his gravesite (cremation/encased in a wall...like a library sort of) in his hometown and I haven't visited the site since his funeral day 4 years ago....too morbid.  I did have a memorial brick made for him at our local Rotary Garden, however, in the town I'm living now.  It provides a place for our kids to visit.  And a non-religious atmosphere was important to me.

"I would request, that my body in death, be buried not cremated, so that the energy content, contained within it gets returned to the earth so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna throughout my whole life."

I am not familiar with him. Is he religious? He rattled that off quite nicely. Better not be embalmed then.
Neil deGrasse Tyson is a well known name. He is agnostic.
There are so many laws nowadays. To even dump ash into an ocean, you need a permit (like anyone would know) so it might be difficult to become food for piranhas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burial_at_sea

"California is the only U.S. State that does not permit full body burials. The Environmental Protection Agency regulations for full body burials at sea in the United States require that the site of interment be three (3) nautical miles... from land and at a depth of at least 600 feet.... In the northeastern United States this may require travel in excess of 30 miles (48 km) for a suitable site."

This could mean you'll be spending eternity with a hirsute, saudi-looking man with half a face, but only if you opt for burial in the Arabian sea.
Does "full body" include ash?

I would think whole bodies are just un-cremated ones.  They don't want them to wash back onshore, or be an accidental catch for a fishing expedition.  Although, if someone had an amputation, they would likely be considered a "whole body" under these regulations.  

One person's ashes don't amount to much - I would imagine they could be spread almost anywhere outside of throwing them over a highway overpass or something similarly messy or dangerous.

According to slate.com one person's ashes weigh about 5 pounds.  That's like a 5 pound sack of flour.  I got a lot more than that out of my fireplace last time I cleaned it.  If you spread it over an average lawn, which I did with the fireplace ashes, I suspect it wouldn't be noticable after a good sprinkling or soaking rain.  It's hard to imagine that throwing ashes into the ocean would be an issue.

Check out the site below...Eternal Reefs.  I heard about it a few years ago and it sounds like a useful, meaningful, and eco-friendly way to have a funeral service: 

http://www.eternalreefs.com/

Small world!   I wonder if we'd be allowed to make reefs in Lake Michigan....or is this just an 'ocean' thing? Ha ... We'd just get barnacles and zebra mussels attached to us.  Those invasive species.  None of those pretty tropical species like the glossy brochures show.
Donate it to science...I think it would make me feel a little bit warmer/fuzzier inside knowing that I'm helping somebody even after I'm dead.

I want to be frozen; I'm not going down without a fight. Failing that, I plan on having my ashes spread over the haunted house at Disney World.

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service