Does the Christian concept of man as a fallen creature influence our childrearing practices?

There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 57 countries that have banned spanking in schools and homes. Some have banned it only in schools, others both places. France was the most recent country to join this alliance for the right's of children. America still has 13 states that allow spanking in schools and large segments of our population fight for the right as a parent to hit their kids, so we have not joined either group. The first country to ban the hitting of kids was Sweden in 1979. Many of the countries that eventually joined Sweden were also far more secular than the US.  

Yet, we've changed our notions about women's rights. Hitting a woman is now considered assault. Hitting men has been considered assault for a long time. Collectively, we have concluded that it's not necessary to hit our dogs for the purposes of training. Yet, we still openly practice the hitting of kids, starting at a very young age. 

For centuries, the Christian belief has been that we come into this world fallen from grace. Everything about us needs fixing. Does that notion continue to influence the way we view our own offspring. Do we see them, whether we realize it or not, as creatures that need to be subdued and have their spirits contained at best or at worst broken in order to please society which had originally sought to please god?

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is shame. Shame has a strong connection with religion. 

Parents don't want to be accused of having a little rat bastard. It will reflect badly on the parent so the parent whales the hell out of the kid to be obedient. 

Glen, when I first saw the term 'rugrat' I thought it was one word.

I pronounced it 'roo grat' and didn't know what it meant.

Yep.

Welcome to Nexus, Teresa. A too-short reply to your opening question is YES!

About your "Hitting a woman is now considered assault."

Among my mom's relatives, hitting a woman was considered assault when I was a child.

That was in the late 1930s. I was at a picnic with some of her relatives and heard one of them say, "If he hits me one time, there won't be a second time."

My mom must have passed that message along to my dad. When my younger brother or I talked back to him, he used a leather belt to silence us. When my older sister talked back to him, noisily and at considerable length, he did not silence her.

Doubt there is much connection between hitting kids and the Christian belief of this, that, and the other.  Parents just lose their shit and don't have proper communication skills because their parents probably did the same shit to them.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service