How do I respond to that?

Tags: debate, evolution, science, theory

Views: 242

Replies to This Discussion

haha, depends on the breakfasts in bed/predator ratio. If it increased your chance of getting laid by 3 times, but attracted light-saber-tooth tigers 6 times faster then you're in trouble. But if it only increased your chance of being eaten by 10% but your chances of breakfast 200% then.... actually then you'd be so fat you couldn't outrun the tiger. So you better make sure you have lots of sex before it arrives.
Actually the argument goes something like this, but I take umbrage because I have not looked it up specifically for this post.
Generally for things like the bird of paradise long tail -- Zahavi's argument that gets a lot of kudos in The selfish Gene is that it is precisely because the tail is a handicap that is becomes selected. It is a form of honest signaling. It says look have long I have stayed alive even with this impediment -- so imagine how fast I must be to get away from predators? Wonderful theory, I love it becaue it is so paradoxical.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

Latest Activity

Loren Miller liked Loren Miller's discussion Consider the Atheist (Madalyn Murray O'Hair)
45 minutes ago
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
46 minutes ago
Joan Denoo posted a group
53 minutes ago
Metamorphosis posted a video

Goodbye to the First Amendment

Il faut qu'une constitution soit courte et obscure. Elle doit être faite de manière à ne pas gêner l'action du gouvernement. Napoléon Bonaparte
53 minutes ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
53 minutes ago
Profile Iconreno barber and arijit saha joined Atheist Nexus
54 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Michael Pianko's discussion Why are so many atheists here so liberal?
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion How many of you despise Edward Snowden?
1 hour ago

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service