My theory is that in religion, the purpose of fasting was to inhibit the function of parts of followers brains, so that they would be most receptive to the greater than usual level of religious brainwashing which is supposed to occur on the fast days.

The jewish holiday of Yom Kipur, or the "day of judgment" takes place later this month, and while I am at work and at home trying to live well, my parents will be ensconced in a synagogue, not eating for 25 hours (one more hour than the number of hours in a day), and following along in their prayer books while the cantor and a choir lead everybody in reciting the Jewish liturgies, for most of the day. On this day, as I was taught, if I say the liturgies sincerely enough, HaShem will forgive me of everything I have done wrong in the previous year. Like all religions, judaism has an obsession with sin. judaism seems to teach followers that human beings are born defective and then we have to do the religion in order to fix ourselves but that still won't be good enough, and if we don't keep constantly blessing, praising, laudifying, and extolling god and doing the rituals, a prayer called the Shema says he will become angry and prevent the rain from falling and the crops will not grow, our evemies will kill us, and so on.

This is not the only fast day of the jewish year, but it is the only one that lasts 25 hours instead of just sunrise to sunset.

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What did I make it seem like my interest is? I want to be able to do activities and live normally without harassment and interference from governments or religions. Throught history, after disease (bacterial infections, black plague, and so on), the biggest danger to people has been harassment and assault from governments or religions.

Michael, the church, religion, beliefs have only as much power over you a you give your power to them. 

I think your whining is because you can't let go of being a victim. 

Most of the Bible allegories were borrowed from other cultures.

All of the Pentateuch was copied from Sumerian and Babylonian myths such as the 'Epic of Gilgamesh'. 

It appears that nothing in the Bible came from first hand witness information, not even the myths concerning Jesus Christ.

Everything was either from legend (myths handed down by rote) or allegorical, which is the way ancients would teach children about morality and their culture.

Most of these were developed to hijack human socially evolved cognition.

The originators of such allegories were very clever, as they had no knowledge of neurology, nor of psychology, yet they knew how to seduce the human mind.

They hijacked our:

Hyperactive Agency Detection cognitive mechanism, inducing fear and panic.

Attachment mechanisms, inducing the sense of caring and nurturing dad/mum figures giving a false sense of security/calm.

Creating a minimally counter-intuitive environment, with just enough nonsense to be acceptable by our rational sense.  Such as virgin birth, everything else is intuitive, Mary is just an ordinary woman, so a little bit of nonsense in the virgin birth is only minimally counter-intuitive and doesn't raise enough questioning for disbelief.

And many more survival based evolutionary cognitive functions are hijacked by the teaching of these minimally counter-intuitive allegorical/legend myths.

They are the very essence of brain washing.

Very clever for such ancient story telling.

Though religions had thousands of years to practice their art of cognitive deception/hijacking.

Thus, a very sophisticated con job is religion.

As I mentioned earlier "water" is a metaphor for "writings" and the fact that a Sumerian legend was on board Noah's Ark makes it relatively easy to see the Biblical "flood" as representing the change from Cuneiform to the Phoenician alphabet.  The fact that other Sumerian legends are scattered throughout the Moses means that these books together represent the "Ark".  (So the allegories are not just "borrowed"; they are altered to tell a different story.)  From this interpretation, it might then be suggested that the "Egyptians" were a metaphor for the Sumerians and the "Hebrews" were actually the Akkadians.

The stories and religions that we know about, that had or have great influence, also survived a sort of "natural selection". All those "clever" mechanisms that hijack our cognitive functions turn out to be adaptive traits for the stories to survive and be spread.

Pascal Boyer gives a good explanation of these mechanisms GC, in his book Religion Explained.

I never doubted your non-belief in religion, i just mean that to me, your notions of allegories in the bible reminds me of my Jewish education in terms of how in Jewish learning you are " not supposed" to just read the Jewish holy texts, you are supposed to study the texts with a rabbi who will teach you the "right" interpretations.

Now I just think the whole action of learning about or thinking up interpretations of holy texts is a bizarre waste of time.

Warren, what you say makes sense.

Most of us here have found that logic doesn't reach believers' minds. Some of us, finding our attempts to proselytize blocked, complain.

Fiction writers and poets use metaphor; poets know better than other writers that metaphor can go where logic doesn't.

We will do well to consider alternatives to reason.

Supposedly live foodists- raw foodists say fasting every once in a while is good for u. Helps to detox because they say the energy that the body uses in digesting is huge and can now be used toeards cleaning up toxins. Not sure the validity of this but am willing to concede the possibility that mild fasts may be good because our bodies naturally lose apetite when we get sick.
So the key here is doing it for the right reasons if this is true
Not eating for a whole day is bad for you. Don't let any diet guru fool you or you are just as gullible as a religionist. Raw foodism is is usually bad for you. It might be possible to eat a diet high in fruit, but only if you eat enough energy, and most people who try this will hurt themselves by putting too much volume into their gastro-intestinal tracts in one sitting while at the same under dosing on energy, slowly starving themselves. thinking too much about food and eating is an obsessive-compulsive-like mental disorder called orthopraxia nervosia.

If you usually eat junk and then you do a fast, you can give yourself the illusion of feeling better because, hey, at least you are not eating junk food. it is better to eat a smaller amount of food multiple times a day than to overstuff yourself two or three times a day.
I can write more clearly: when you go for too long without eating, parts of your brain might inhibit the function of other parts of your brain, in order for the body to conserve energy to maintain vital body functions. In other words, it will be harder to think well or get work done if you haven't eaten all day. Religion sometimes takes advantage of this in order to maximize its ability to keep rebrainwashing you or making you practice and believe in the religion.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service