"Religion is regarded by the common people as true; by the wise as false, and by politicians as useful."  --Seneca the Younger (4 B.C.E.-65 C.E.).

Views: 2675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Found this one at Atheist Empire
http://atheistempire.com/greatminds/more.php

Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
-- Annie Dillard, 'Pilgrim at Tinker Creek'
Because proselytizers are DICKS!
Exactly! And / or stupid. I was corrected once in complaining about missionaries, I said they only cared about the pretend work of "saving souls" not actually helping people, and it was pointed out to me that they are not even interested in saving souls, but only in the pretend work of getting *themselves* into their preferred pretend after-death condo building or whatever. Totally selfish a-holes. I put them at about the moral level of street pimps, and so don't associate with anyone who would support them, any more than I would associate with people who buy stolen bikes or the like. They are scum!
A good friend, who had traveled throughout Africa, once told me that the two most dangerous types on the continent were missionaries and mercenaries.
Haha, right?!!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
--Denis Diderot
I guess I'm kind of low-brow, because many of my real favorites come from punk rock songs. The FEEDERZ have loads of great blasphemous ones, "Jesus entering from the rear" obnoxious & hilarious stuff like that. Also Battalion of Saints, like half their songs are about how religion is fake.

Why don't they give us a break
All they do is take and take
With a religion that's fake
Think of the money they make
(from Holy Vision)

Man if there's a god,
he sleeps on the job
(from Thru with You)
This quote isn't my favorite but it echoes the quote from Seneca.

"Religion is what keeps the poor man from murdering the rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." -- René Descartes
Eh, if only he took his own advice. He does trick you into thinking that he has actually accomplished this feat. I particularly enjoy the malevolent demon idea. But then you blink and HOLY CRAP! He sneaks god in right under your nose.
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

-- Robert A. Heinlein
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. -Friedrich Nietzsche

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service