When realizing my atheism, one of the hardest things for me (besides the fear of Hell), was my feelings of hopelessness. I finally had to get to the point where I determined that I must follow truth, even if it meant utter depression and hopelessness. Many longtime atheists don't realize how real and terrifying this is.

Once I accepted this initial pain, I was able to gradually find peace. It was very similar to losing a loved one or breaking up with a lover. I had to learn my life would have the meaning and purpose I gave it. I eventually got to the point where life was more meaningful and precious then before.

What were your experiences?

Where do you find hope?

Where do you get peace?

I bet some of you are still suffering with these realities. Please share them with us.

Views: 143

Replies to This Discussion

Great discussion.

I chose to embrace reality, no matter how harsh or ugly it could be. I found that reality is both more wondrous and more horrific than the insulated, scripted and cultureless fantasy world that I abandoned.

I find hope in love and humanity. Do all people that I encounter give me hope? Of course not. Dysfunctionality is pervasive. But frequently I meet individuals that impress me with their positivity and love and passion for life.

I find peace in acceptance.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
26 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Loren Miller's status
42 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W's group Food!
51 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"So, today's the day. I don't know whether to try to watch or ignore it all and let Scott Pelley tell me about it later. Either way it sucks."
1 hour ago
tom sarbeck replied to Sassan K.'s discussion How does one go from atheism to religion?
3 hours ago
Jason Dickson is now a member of Atheist Nexus
8 hours ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Daniel W's group Race, Ethnicity, & Culture
10 hours ago

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service