I know we're all different thinkers, but I'm just curious if there is a consensus view among atheists regarding firearms?

Views: 611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually the "Kentucky Long Rifle" was a rifled weapon and was used by some of the colonial rebels. The British troops all used the "Brown Bess" - a musket.
"Oh, I see you've beaten your wife. We're taking your guns away." Precisely! The guy that I mentioned killing his family had been hospitalized twice for his mental illness. His cousin called the hospital to tell them that he had a gun, was upset about his girlfriend leaving him and said "he was going to use it." Laws need to be in place to protect us from people like this. The hospital did relate this to the authorities after they released him and committed the murders/suicide.
I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with compelling people to register a gun.

"A well regulated militia...", one would think that any well regulated militia would need to know who has the guns and records of same.
I don't own a hand gun, but I completely support gun ownership.
I own guns and support the right to do so. But... the southern states with the weakest gun control laws are the suppliers for illegal weapons to felons all over this country and the source for most of the weapons being used in the Mexican drug wars that are decimating that counties states that border the US.

Whether you love or hate Michael Moore, his documentary, Bowling for Columbine, was a thoughtful look at the American culture of gun ownership and the violence that is unique to America among developed nations. BTW MM is a longstanding member of the NRA. For those that haven't seen the movie, here is a link to a good synopsis. The section that suggest causes for gun violence it the US is particularly interesting.
Woops, here is the link and I fat fingered "country's" into counties

I also find it interesting that Canadians can own guns, yet they have much less gun violence than the US. MM actually goes into the WalMart and buys ammo and they don't even ask for an ID or proof of anything. I also find it interesting that Canada seems to be A LOT more secular than the US....co-ink-e-dink? Hmmmmmm.......interesting......
In Switzerland every able bodied male between 18 and 55 is required to have a gun (supplied by the government) as part of military readiness - the gun crime is negligible. OTOH, similar requirements were in place in the former Yugoslavia but when the country fell apart the preponderance of guns did not help the situation.
Where is your proof for any of this Dan? Most of the guns used by the cartels down in Mexico to my understanding are Military grade weapons that you can't get without going through the NFA rigamaroo. I don't think very many people going through the hoops to get a fully automatic firearm are strawmanning for cartels.
Upon further research, your assertion that we're supplying the cartels with the majority of their weapons is complete falsehood.

The first ten Google searches on mexican drug wars american guns show at least 50% of the guns confiscated from the drug gangs there come from the border US states.

You sourced FAUX News....

Research FAIL
This is taken from Guy Smith's Gun Facts Version 5.1 from 2009:
Myth: Citizens are too incompetent to use guns for
Fact: About 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by
citizens kill an innocent person. The odds of a defensive gun user killing an innocent
person are less than 1 in 26,000.
And that is with citizens using guns to prevent crimes
almost 2,500,000 times every year.
Fact: Most firearm accidents are caused by people with various forms of poor selfcontrol. These include alcoholics, people with previous criminal records, multiple
driving accidents, and other risky behaviors.
Myth: Concealed carry laws increase crime
Fact: Thirty-nine states
, comprising the majority of the American population, are
"right-to-carry" states. Statistics show that in these states the crime rate fell (or did not
rise) after the right-to-carry law became active (as of July, 2006). Nine states restrict the
right to carry and two deny it outright.
Fact: Crime rates involving gun owners with carry permits have consistently been about
0.02% of all carry permit holders since Florida’s right-to-carry law started in 1988.

Fact: After passing their concealed carry law, Florida's homicide rate fell from 36%
above the national average to 4% below, and remains below the national average (as of
the last reporting period, 2005).
Fact: In Texas, murder rates fell 50% faster than the national average in the year after
their concealed carry law passed. Rape rates fell 93% faster in the first year after
Myth: Gun control reduces crime
Fact: The U.S. government “found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness
of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes”

and also concluded in one study that none of the attackers interviewed was "hindered by
any law--federal, state or local--that has ever been established to prevent gun ownership.
They just laughed at gun laws."
Fact: Violent crime
appears to be encouraged
by gun control. Most gun
control laws in the United
States have been written
since 1968, yet the
murder rate rose during
the 70s, 80s and early
Fact: In 1976,
Washington, D.C.
enacted one of the most
restrictive gun control
laws in the nation. The
city's murder rate rose
134 percent through 1996
while the national murder
rate has dropped 2
Fact: Among the 15
states with the highest
homicide rates, 10 have restrictive or very restrictive gun laws.
Fact: Maryland claims to have the toughest gun control laws in the nation and ranks #1
in robberies and #4 in both violent crime and murder.
. The robbery rate is 70% more than the national average.
These numbers are likely low because one of their more
violent cities, Baltimore, failed to report their crime levels.
Fact: In 2000, 20% of U.S. homicides occur in four cities with just six percent of the
population – New York, Chicago, Detroit, and Washington, D.C. – most of which
have/had a virtual prohibition on private handguns.
Fact: The landmark federal Gun Control Act of 1968, banning most interstate gun sales,
had no discernible impact on the criminal acquisition of guns from other states.
Fact: Washington, D.C.'s 1976 ban on the ownership of handguns (except those already
registered in the District) was not linked to any reduction in gun crime in the nation's
Fact: New York has one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation – and 20% of the
armed robberies.
Fact: There are more than 22,000
gun laws at the city, county, state, and federal level.
If gun control worked, then we should be free of crime. But the Federal government
concluded that no criminal that attacked a police officer was “hindered by any law--
federal, state or local--that has ever been established to prevent gun ownership. They just
laughed at gun laws."
Fact: In analyzing 10 different possible reasons for the decline in violent crime during
the 1990s, gun control was calculated to have contributed nothing (high imprisonment
rates, more police and legalized abortion were considered the primary factors,
contributing as much as 28% of the overall reduction).

Here is the link: http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/5.1/gun-facts-5.1-screen.pdf

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service