I know we're all different thinkers, but I'm just curious if there is a consensus view among atheists regarding firearms?

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Susan, you suggest legalizing drugs in Mexico as a solution to crime.  Mexico very recently decriminalized the possession of small amounts of drugs.  Each drug has its own limit.  The point is to ignore personal use and only control sale,  Let's see if it makes a difference.  OR - did you mean we should legalize drugs in the U.S.?  That I agree with.

did you mean we should legalize drugs in the U.S.?  That I agree with.

Actually, I meant both.

I showed that the the assertion that we are supplying the majority of firearms to the cartels in Mexico is a complete myth at the beginning of this thread.  Do some of our weapons end up in Mexico?  Yes.  Can you correlate reliable data from firearm tracing?  No.  Not all guns seized are traced, or even traceable.  From my understanding, the majority of their weapons are military grade and are smuggled in, and not by the U.S.  Hell, the rapper, TI, got a hold of a machine guns in Georgia.  It's a commodity.  If you want it bad enough, you can get it.

The funny thing is some of the loose machine guns can be tied to our wars overseas.

One white supremacist soldier, James Douglas Ross, a military intelligence officer stationed at Fort Bragg, was given a bad conduct discharge from the Army when he was caught trying to mail a submachine gun from Iraq to his father's home in Spokane, Wash. Military police found a cache of white supremacist paraphernalia and several weapons hidden behind ceiling tiles in Ross' military quarters. After his discharge, a Spokane County deputy sheriff saw Ross passing out fliers for the neo-Nazi National Alliance.

Not that the US Government is the only source.  I'm sure plenty of old weapons from the Cold War are still passing hands.

Did they ever catch him?  Sounds to me like he deserves to be up on charges of treason more then Pvt. Manning does.

Well fuck.

I'm glad that situation worked out for you and you didn't get hurt or have to shoot anyone.  I doubt your story will get any publicity.  You don't hear about self defensive firearm use, especially when people don't get shot.  Just brandishing the weapon most times is enough to scare the attacker away.
Me, I'm for guns. And not the 'second amendment'. I could care less about some scribblings on parchment put together by a bunch of dead white mercantalist elites. I've got a right to own a God damn rocket launcher if I want, and anyone who wants to prevent me is a gangster.
I think every one shoud own a firearm!! I run my local chapter of Pinkpistols.org im prod to be atheists!

We don't do guns in the UK and and it's all going quite well, I'm anti-gun and anti-knife. But canada have rather a lot and do well. Charitably I might say the problems handgun use, but I think the problem is Americans. Maybe if you solved all the terrible inequality, poverty and low education standards you might not all feel the need to "get heated".

As far as brandishing goes, it can often be the case that all it does it escalate the situations and make it  more dangerous.

I have a recurve bow in my closet though, just in case the zombies come.

But its NOT GOING WELL IN UK you have more crime rapes and killings your very wrong!! more guns good ppl mean lower crime take a good guy or women with a gun take down bad man or women with a guy all of UK been brain washed!! NOT the police man or women to protect you your job to do it!!

proud (GLBT) American gun owner

Seany Spradlin

When was the last time you have heard of a mass killing in the UK.  Knives don't do that.  Semi-automatics do.

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service