My friend came up to me two days ago (March 25) and said that it was me that converted her to atheism. I showed her a couple of books, websites, and some of my favorites on youtube about a month ago, when she asked me about Atheism. I didn't really intend to convert her purposely, we were just casually yapping in my house about nothing and the subject came up. She thanked me too! This is the first person I ever converted!

If anyone has similar or great stories, please share.

Views: 1408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your indirect speech, it makes me think about the politicians. 

Well, I don't have a great story but after 42 years of marriage my husband seems to agree with me (in matters of religion)!  When we married I didn't tell him what I really believed as he was from a very religious family and back then I didn't have the courage to be who I really am.  Little by little I guess our discussions have gotten to him and he sees the logic of it all now.  Now I can finally share my beliefs with someone who understands!  And it only took me about 40 years!   Now we can discuss how we can't believe how people can believe what they do and pray for this and that and thank god when their neighbor dies in a tornado, flood, etc. because they are spared.  I only wish I realized there were so many of us out there much sooner and I wish I could meet other people who share my beliefs.  That said, I'm happy enough to have the internet and most importantly, my husband!

Actually, I don't think it is possible to convert anyone to atheism. I think what happens is that when information is made available to people in whom childhood indoctrination was only mild and who have a certain open-mindedness they arrive at atheism themselves. It would be folly to  hand a fundamentalist christian (for example) a book by Harris, Dennet or Hitchens and expect a 'conversion'. Even if a heavily indoctrinated person were to read such a book their minds would be closed to the arguments therein regardless of their logical coherence. That's what 'faith' does. Faith means not wanting to know what is true - Neitsche

I may give someone information that I know, experiences that I value, relate quotes or data from another, but I don't think I have the power to CONVERT someone to atheism.  I'm not even sure that I WANT that ability.  After all, no one converted me.  I came to the conclusion that there are no gods ON MY OWN.

I hope that those who have questions, who doubt, and who are curious about how the world really work are brave enough to dig, to research, and to simply ask.

I won't convert them to atheism.  The facts will.

Yes, indeed. When they can see the facts, think, they convert themselves. Your seeds give them something with which to work. 

When my husband and I both came out as Atheists, my brother in law was still Theist and responded defending his faith. When we talked, we talked mostly about science and we showed him some Neil DeGrasse Tyson and other related videos and he loved them. I don't think it was us that deconverted him, but the fact that he takes time to understand and learn and that did it for him. 

The road to atheism is a long, lonely & stony one.  About all I have been able to accomplish is to remove some of the 'stones' in people's paths.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

Idaho Spud commented on BuildingCastles's group Health & Fitness
22 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"For whatever it's worth, I just told ALL my federal and state representatives that I am "Openly Secular." Have to wonder if they care."
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service